iPhone / iPad & Smartphone controlled car.

Hi guys,

i am new to this forum and in general new to Arduino. I really like it so far. So, i purchased an Arduino Starter kit and i finished the projects, so, i decided to get a harder school project in order to get better with Arduino.

Because i love Remote Control cars, i decided to make one from scratch, using Arduino this time. I searched a lot into different websites and forums and i would say that, the more i search, the more confused i become. In general the project will be this:

1. iPad / iPhone / Android controlled RC Car. Here i realised that i have 3 options. WiFi, Bluetooth and XBEE. As far as i'm concerned, the Bluetooth distance of control is really small, the WiFi way needs a WiFi network to exists and the distance is also limited and the XBEE is the way that all the RC cars works on. Is that right? I searched a bit how all these iPhone controlled cars and helicopters on the market works, and looks like they have a small transmitter you put on the iPhone headphones input. No idea if that works for Android as well.

2. I would like at some point in the future to have a camera on it.

3. I would like to have 1 or 2 brushless motors with ESC instead of simple dc motors and also one servo. Here, is it a need for Motor Shield? Or i can control these from just an Arduino Uno?

A simple guide on this will be more than welcome in order to clean my head from too much informations these days!

Thank you so much!

Well I am working on a kind of similar project. I am using the Sainsmart Wizfi module (http://www.ebay.de/itm/281015153409?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649&autorefresh=true). On one hand it is very expensive, but on the other hand it can be used as an AP, so you don't need an extra WiFi network.