What type of capacitor for surface mount?

Hi,

If i have a debounce circuit with a 10uF capacitor, 10k resistor and Hex inverting Schmitt Trigger, does it matter what type of capacitor is needed for a surface mounted PCB?

Thanks

depends on the resistors you use i guess...

Why are you using a Schmitt trigger for debouncing, rather than doing it in software?

10µF is an inconveniently large value - which is of course why you are asking this question in the first place. Combined with a 10k resistor, this gives a response time of one tenth of a second, which means to say you are in no hurry at all and are presumably intending to debounce a manually-operated switch, so if you are using this for a microprocessor input, it would be much easier to get the firmware to do the debouncing.

Why are you using a Schmitt trigger for debouncing, rather than doing it in software?

I am only using hardware to wake the Arduino when sleeping, not for any other inputs. That is done in software.

10µF is an inconveniently large value

What would be a better value for the capacitor and resistor?

Thanks

Jeffro_Aus:
I am only using hardware to wake the Arduino when sleeping, not for any other inputs. That is done in software.

Then you have no need for debounce.

Have you missed something?

Then you have no need for debounce.

Have you missed something?

Maybe i don't need it. Thought it just might be cleaner.

Once it is awake, it is awake. Just as long as you are not attempting to use interrupts on the switch inputs (never a sensible idea), you should have no problems.