DS3231 Clock Backup Power

I'm running the DS3231 clock module from ebay with the Arduino nano and it seems to run fine, reads out the time and temperature OK, until I pull the power.

Then it loses the time and starts over when repowered. There is no time reset in the code (commented out and reloaded.)

I thought the battery provided backup power for this so it wouldnt lose time. I mean thats the whole idea of a RTC. I checked the battery and it looks good at 3.7v.

Any ideas on what the problems is here. TIA.

You most likely have configured the RTC incorrectly, but since you didn't follow the posting rules, there is no way for anyone to know.

Brontosaur:
I thought the battery provided backup power for this so it wouldnt lose time. I mean thats the whole idea of a RTC.

You are right about that, and the battery is probably an LIR 2032 3.6v rechargeable. Your module is probably innocent, and your code, which is apparently a secret, is either junk, or misunderstood by you. Don't be surprised, there is a lot of it about in this arena.

The code I use is here. It is better explained than most, and it works with DS3231 without alteration.

Yeah, my code is junk so it will remain a secret.

Good idea.