Looking for opinions on smart phones, what to get.

EVP:
i'm not sure. i wanted a telephone. it rings i pick it up. i don't really need a pocket computer.

When talking about need, there are really only 2/3 things we need as humans to survive. food/water and shelter. Once those bases are covered, we are just talking about what people want. People are always debating about what they need and don't need, when in reality it's all nothing more than different wants, which changes the dynamics of the debate completely.

EVP:
it's a computer. just not as good s the one i have at home.

I guess if you spend the majority of your time at home, then the computer you have at home will suit you just fine. If, however, you want the convenience of a mobile computer while you are away from home, there are a variety of products available that mix up the qualities of convenience to use versus convenience to carry with you. Your basic laptop is on the end of easy to use, but not so easy to carry around with you, while the smartphone is on the other end of very easy to carry around with you, but not as easy to use (though still very usable). Products like tablets, netbooks, ultrabooks, etc all fit in somewhere between those.

Before I got my smartphone, I was basically using 3 separate devices at various times for various purposes. My old flip phone for communications, a gps unit for navigation, and a digital camera for pictures/videos. I have quite conveniently replaced all 3 of those with a single device that provides tremendously more benefits than those 3 combined.