Chromebooks

Hi
I'm completely new to Arduino and loving it!
I've done a quick search on these forums for answers on whether you can use a chromebook to program my UNO board, but cant seem to find anything too recent other than "its on the road map" which was dated a couple of years ago.
My question is; am I able to yet? I can go to codebenders and upload their sketches, but not from this one?

Any ideas on when this is coming?

Thank you

Darren

I thought codebenders was dead?

No ideas about chromebook, I prefer a real laptop.

Codebenders is dead, but the code and functionality of the website is still running.

I only have a chromebook at home, and was trying not to resort to bringing my work laptop home every night.

I may try putting a Linux distro on it to see if that works.

ElectricEel:
Codebenders is dead, but the code and functionality of the website is still running.

I only have a chromebook at home, and was trying not to resort to bringing my work laptop home every night.

I may try putting a Linux distro on it to see if that works.

Unless what you are doing is work-related, I wouldn't want to be using my work laptop at home.
Don't you make enough money to buy a $150 laptop?

Yeah - def. don't use work laptops for personal projects; it's a tar-pit, and if you actually read your company policies, you'd probably find one that expressly prohibits that, or something related to it.

Chromebooks are not serviceable general purpose PC's, at least not with ChromeOS on them. They're only suitable as a second (disposable) system for those tasks you do in a web browser and/or when you need something with a keyboard but where there's a high risk of the computer being lost/stolen/damaged; it's frankly rather shameful the way chromebooks get marketed as if they're real computers; they do not fill that role effectively.

DrAzzy:
Yeah - def. don't use work laptops for personal projects; it's a tar-pit, and if you actually read your company policies, you'd probably find one that expressly prohibits that, or something related to it.

Not only is it most likely prohibited, don't be surprised to find that anything you develop on it would be owned by your employer.

Codebender is not dead

Arduino developers get extra support as Codeanywhere acquires Codebender

That's excellent news, thanks for the update.

Although I have gone and bought myself a laptop :slight_smile: