Might an arduino-ethernet be able to talk with a S7-1200 plc with profinet

Well i'm in a war of protocols it seams :slight_smile:
Device X wont talk to device Y
where X is Linux ubuntu and Y is a Siemens s7-1200.

Now it seams rather complex but as this is "THE" forum for people who create microcontroller stuff.. and turn around every byte we see.
I was thinking maybe.. well just maybe connect an arduino through usb with an ethernet shield to the linux so it be able to send a few bytes.
Perhaps someone here allready tried it, and wrote a Arduino lib ?

Don't you think it's much easier to program that stuff directly in Linux and not having another device in between?

The Arduino is good in accessing electronics and low level devices by protocols like I2C, SPI and the like. You'll find even a profibus library for Arduino but it definitely does not make sense to use an Arduino to emulate a TCP/IP based protocol for a Linux computer. On Linux you don't have the memory constraints you have on an Arduino and you have the multi-tasking support of a full-fledged OS.

I don't know much about profibus but I do know that the Arduino USB is just a lightweight, well in USB terms anyway, USB/Serial converter.
I doubt that will help you much.

This http://www.westermo.net/Resource.phx/content/products/fieldbus/converters/fd-40.htx on the other hand will probably do what you need.

There will be many more but Westermo are generally regarded as being, or at the vary least, working to the de-facto standard for this kind of industrial coms kit.

Of course if what you actually meant was how can I get this stuff to communicate without hocking the farm then that is a whole other ball of wax $)

Al

This http://www.westermo.net/Resource.phx/content/products/fieldbus/converters/fd-40.htx on the other hand will probably do what you need.

He wants to connect to a profinet (physical medium: Ethernet) not a profibus, that's why he wanted to use an Arduino Ethernet, that one has the Ethernet interface onboard but no USB connection to the host, so the idea is strange anyway.