3 Questions on projects?

I just got my Arduino (Uno SMD sparkfun starter kit-flex) and I have a couple of questions. As well I'm like a "beginner" beginner so I know very little and would greatly appreciate it if you answer basically;)

1. How do I connect my 4 digit 7-segment LED display with my 10K thermistor to make a digital thermometer? Also what is the code for that?

2. I got a Spectra Symbol SoftPot Potentiometer, what exactly is that and how can I use it, connect it and what would be the code for that?

3. Can you measure flex with a flex sensor? If so, how can I connect it and what would be the code for that?

Thanks in advance for all the help,

Cheers, Ethan

Hi Ethan, and welcome to the world of Arduino and these forums!

Those are ambitious projects for a beginning beginner. I suggest you start a little smaller and learn about programming, reading switches and analog inputs, and generating outputs first. Did you get a book with that kit? There are a lot of good references out there, including on this site.

I really like the Arduino Cookbook (2nd Edition). It starts simple and introduces the reader to more complicated concepts and sketches as the book progresses.

It shouldn't take you too long to get the hang of it and to start programming those other devices.

Good luck!

and
http://www.ladyada.net/learn/arduino/starterpack.html

Magician:
http://tronixstuff.wordpress.com/
and
Arduino Tutorial - Learn electronics and microcontrollers using Arduino!

Those are great sites, and of course closer to home here on the Arduino site there are also tutorials.

Welcome and good luck! Start small, build up a bit of experience and get some "building blocks" in your mind, then you'll be able to bolt those together into ever-bigger projects.

Remember Google is your friend.... I found a lot of info about the SoftPot that way, for example this on the manufacturer's site.

To answer your first question, you really need to subdivide it into two projects.

You don't "connect your thermistor to your LED display".

First, you learn how to connect your thermistor to the arduino, and collect and interpret the analog or digital signal,
whatever it is. You send the answer from this to your PC over the usb/serial connection to debug it.

Secondly, you learn how to connect and display on the 4 digit display from the arduino.

Then, you put the first and second project together.