PLX-DAQ version 2 - now with 64 bit support! (and further new features)

Duh - I did it.
I reworked lots of the code once more to get it more stable and easier to maintain (added comments, formatted code etc.)
Also I looked at Megunolink (thanks for the info) but I guess they are just hardcore sophisticated with their Software. PLX DAQ should be for the easy user or at least for pros that would like to build out of the box possibilities for simple consumers. What looks promising is http://docs.blynk.cc/ if you want your data to be available on a smartphone.

@CBJARL: one more thing, you could basically paste 90% of the code to Visual Basic and build a native Windows application. But well - you still need some sheet or further use for the commands received :wink:

So without further delay:

=============================================================
This version is already outdated !! Link to always most recent version of PLX DAQ v2 here:
==> PLX-DAQ version 2 - now with 64 bit support! (and further new features) - Interfacing w/ Software on the Computer - Arduino Forum <==

What's new in "version 2.5" aka Change log:

• Added a "Pause logging" / "Resume logging" button that can (well no surprise) stop the logging of the data without disconnecting the Arduino. The Button is enabled when connected

• Removed the old 4 checkboxes as the functions are useless without Stamp nowadays and replaced with 3 custom checkboxes. As with old PLX DAQ v1 these checkboxes can be controlled by Arduino code: change text, check/uncheck box, read status of boxed (if checked or not). Codes changed from "DOWNLOAD" / "STORED" / "USER1" to CUSTOMBOX1 / CUSTOMBOX2 / CUSTOMBOX3. "USER2" was removed completely.

• Moved "Reset on Connect" around a bit for better UI layout

• Re-implemented the code for "Reset Timer" button. I don't know why I removed that anyways in version 2.1 ....

• I added a new example sketch that demonstrates the new functions and how one can use them

• I also rework the example codes in the custom dev points for not crashing Excel anymore - hopefully :wink:

• Added new functions to call in Excel by Arduino:

• Beep : makes a simple beep

• Pauselogging : stops printing logged data to the Excel sheet

• Resumelogging: continues pasting data again

• Stoplogging : disconnects the Arduino

• Saveworkbook : simply saves the workbook

• SaveworkbookAs,Filename : saves the workbook as a new copy in the same folder by the name Filename.xlsm

• ForcequitExcel: forces Excel to close. Note: the workbook will not be saved by this!

Might be I implemented even further things but I think I lost track of what I did today :smiley:

Image-Link: http://www.freebie-base.de/Pics/PLX_DAQ_v2.5.png
(hosted on my server, no traffic hijack)

This version is already outdated !! Link to always most recent version of PLX DAQ v2 here:
==> PLX-DAQ version 2 - now with 64 bit support! (and further new features) - Interfacing w/ Software on the Computer - Arduino Forum <==

PLX-DAQ-v2.5.zip (129 KB)

PLX-DAQ-v2-DefaultSketch.ino (2.03 KB)

NetDevil:
What looks promising is http://docs.blynk.cc/ if you want your data to be available on a smartphone.

I found Bluetooth Graphics Terminal a more or less direct equivalent to the the way I was using PLX.

Thanks for all your work, again :slight_smile: .

Looks like this can turn into quite an nice tool.

Note:
If 2.5 is running and accepting data from your supplied INO, things function fine.

• If however, when you move the VBA window, I have noticed Excel sometimes crashes 10 or so seconds later.

• Maybe freeze the ability of moving VBA window while data is being received.

• Also, if you try to use the vertical scroll bar on the right side of the Excel screen while data is being received, Excel crashes.
    (so Larry don't scroll :confused: )

• Quitting at 450 works great.

Edit
Also, when data is being received and you click the 'Reset Timer' button, Excel crashes.

OK, maybe the rule should be while data is received do not touch. :wink:

LarryD:
Thanks for all your work, again :slight_smile:

(...)

OK, maybe the rule should be while data is received do not touch. :wink:

Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

I could use the buttons and checkboxes quit frequently but let me have another look over the next days. Maybe it has something to do with Office365 again :wink:

Anyways we are getting better and better with each release and bring PLX DAQ back to its glory days :slight_smile:

It appears: scrolling, moving the VBA window or clicking the reset button freezes then crashes Excel (while data is received).
Almost as if any interruption in data received is not tolerated.

Hello,

I'm having a little trouble getting my PLX-DAQ(v2.3) to work. Whenever I try to run my Arduino program with PLX open, I get the error message "avrdude: ser_send():write error: sorry no info available". Whenever I run my code with the program disconnected though, it runs fine. However, when my Arduino is connected, the Excel sheet does display the column labels. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Make sure you don't have the com port open in Excel when you try uploading in the IDE.

Hi,

Thanks for the response! The serial monitor was closed when I was getting that error. I'm not sure if it's a problem with my Arduino code, but here's the the portion that is supposed to send the data:

void setup (){
 Serial.begin(9600);
  Serial.println("CLEARDATA");
  Serial.println("LABEL,Load,Drum Speed,Wheel RPM,Run Time");  // These labels DO work 

// Irrelevant Stuff
}

void loop() {

// Even more of irrelevant stuff

if((millis()- refresh) >= 100){   // When to send Data  
                Serial.print("DATA");
                Serial.print(mloadVal);
                Serial.print(",");
                Serial.print(dmph);
                Serial.print(",");
                Serial.print(wrpm);
                Serial.print(",");
                Serial.println(timerSeconds);
                refresh = millis();

// Rest of the irrelevant stuff
}

SharkWheelSDSU:
but here's the the portion that is supposed to send the data:

Serial.print("DATA");

Serial.print(","); <<== this one was missing
                Serial.print(mloadVal);

You were missing the , after the DATA
Try opening the direct debug window in PLX DAQ and you should be able to see how your lines are incoming from Arduino in PLX DAQ.

Well I wasn't able to fix the problem with the UI crashing .... It is totally arbitrary and I cannot put my finger on where and what and how crashes the form. It is both when moving the form as well when moving the whole application. Scrolling on the sheet works fine with me but as soon as you do some action that stops the macro from working for a few seconds it crashes some times after. For example when you move the window around you can see the logging to pause in the direct debug window.

So I just added a warning message on the UI :-X

Alongside some other staff:

What's new in "version 2.6" aka Change log:

• Fixed the reset timer button (there was a useless message box implemented somehow)
  • Formatted the timer to always have 6 trailing digits
  • removed the old fashioned limit to 27 columns - now supports the thousands of columns that Excel supports (although it is getting pretty slow with too many columns)
  • Set the columns all to be aligned centrally on default and column captions to be written in bold by default
  • and well yeah - added the warning remark not to play around too much with the window during logging

I also updated the example sketch once more (included stand alone and in the zip file as well).

Image-Link: http://www.freebie-base.de/Pics/PLX_DAQ_v2.6.png
(hosted on my server, no traffic hijack)

PLX-DAQ-v2.6.zip (132 KB)

PLX-DAQ-v2-DefaultSketch.ino (2.03 KB)

Adding the comma after "DATA" worked! Thanks so much!

:frowning: :confused:

Im a newbee
I just want to directly write serial monitor values to excel i downloaded all versions. v2 v2.2 v2.3
I dont get whats the correct code. when i clicked connect nothing changes. com3 was recognize where my arduino was connected

PS: im using DHT22 Humidity and Temperature sensor.

Untitled.png

ralphjabonga:
I just want to directly write serial monitor values to excel i downloaded all versions. v2 v2.2 v2.3
I dont get whats the correct code. when i clicked connect nothing changes. com3 was recognize where my arduino was connected

Hi ralphjabonga,

the Serial.print statements in your code are written to output to the serial monitor of Arduino IDE. To see the results in Excel, please:

• Download the latest version 2.6 above
  • Connect your Arduino to your PC, click on Connect and open the "direct debug window"
  • You should now see the serial.print statements as in Arduino IDE serial monitor
  • To have it being posted to Excel you need to use the PLX DAQ syntax. Examples can be found here Arduino and real time charts in Excel « Robottini or here http://www.instructables.com/id/Sending-data-from-Arduino-to-Excel-and-plotting-it/?ALLSTEPS and of course in the example sketch attached to the zip file of version 2.6
  • Basically you just need to send 1) CLEARDATA first, 2) followed by LABEL and the name of the columns you want to have in Excel and 3) send DATA followed by the t and h values you measured

It is pretty simple, just take a look at the examples I provided :wink:

Greetings

please help me..

Win10 and office13

all time with all version program have the same problems

:confused: :confused:

ankoo:
Win10 and office13

Hi Ankoo,

are you running Win10 on 64bit or 32bit ?
same for Office 2013: 64 or 32 bit?

Hi Net Devil

Thank you very much for providing a great handy tool to transfer serial data to Excel. I am writing a sketch that controls Arduino by sending characters and numbers to it through serial. I am wondering if you can add functions to PLQ-DAQ version 2 that allows the user to send characters and numbers to Arduino through serial.

My project is to build a sweep frequency generator with a power detector. One can control the frequency range of the signal generated and the output of a filter under measure is measured and sent back to EXCEL to draw a graph.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Best regards,

Sam

jl1cny:
Thank you very much for providing a great handy tool to transfer serial data to Excel. I am writing a sketch that controls Arduino by sending characters and numbers to it through serial. I am wondering if you can add functions to PLQ-DAQ version 2 that allows the user to send characters and numbers to Arduino through serial.
(...)
Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Hi Sam,

thanks a lot for your feedback :slight_smile: Good news for you: the function is in fact already present in the program :wink:

With the command

Serial.println("CELL,GET,D1,");

your Ardunio can ask Excel to send him the values from cell D1 (well in this case). In that cell (and further cells) you could put the variables that you use to operate the frequency range.

Otherwise you could use the custom dev-point "CustomDevPointNewData". There you could easily send your own defined commands from Arduino to Excel and programm in VBA any behaviour you want (e.g. check current time of PC and adjust frequency if time is pre 12:00 am or past 12:00 am. Data can be send to your Arduino from VBA via command

CommWrite cboPort.Text, "Any information can be send here"

In case you have any further questions please feel free to ask :slight_smile:

Greetings

NetDevil

Hi NetDevil,

Thank you for the quick response. It is great to know the function is already there!
I tried CELL GET function and came up with a few more questions.

1. I tried the code below with 123 in D1. When executed, the EXCEL says "Value in cell D1=0" in A2. It seems the value in D1 is not properly read. Any problem with the code?

Serial.println("ROW,SET,2");
Serial.println("CELL,GET,D1,");
Serial.print("DATA,");
int cell_num = Serial.parseInt();
Serial.print("Value in cell D1 = ");
Serial.print(cell_num);
Serial.println(",");

1. I want to copy a number in C1 to D1. Then I tried the code like this. I found 'a' in D1. What I meant is to see the number in C1 copied to D1. How can I do it?

Serial.println("CELL,GET,C1,");
int a=Serial.parseInt();
Serial.println("CELL,SET,D1,a,");

1. I would like to clear contents for the range of say A2 to B200. How can I do it?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

best regards,

Sam

Hi Sam,

well - let's see.

1. I guess you used Larrys code from here PLX-DAQ version 2 - now with 64 bit support! (and further new features) - #18 by LarryD - Interfacing w/ Software on the Computer - Arduino Forum ? Have you tried running the whole sketch and then stripping down to what you need?

From what I see instantly is, that you have two much commas in your code.

Serial.println("ROW,SET,2");
Serial.println("CELL,GET,D1,"); <<<== last comma after D1 is too much
Serial.print("DATA,");
int  cell_num = Serial.parseInt();
Serial.print("Value in cell D1 = ");
Serial.print(cell_num);
Serial.println(","); <<<== full line needless. Just change above line to Serial.println(cell_num);
  1. Sure it puts an "a" in the cell. You send an "a" hardcoded :wink: Change to:
Serial.println("CELL,GET,C1,");  <<== last comma needless again
int a=Serial.parseInt();    
Serial.print("CELL,SET,D1,");
Serial.println(a); <<== use variable 'a' instead of char 'a' in string above
  1. No, there is no function yet to clear a range. By the command CLEARSHEET you can clear the full sheet. What you can do is

a) loop in your Arduino and clear the cells yourself

for(int i = 2 ; i <= 200 ; i++)
{
  Serial.print("CELL,SET,A");
  Serial.print(i);
  Serial.println(",")  <<<=== used to output 'CELL,SET,A2,' ; last comma needed to say fourth parameter (aka value) is empty, thus cell A2 should be made empty
  Serial.print("CELL,SET,B");
  Serial.print(i);
  Serial.println(",") <<<=== same for cells B
}

(please note! I have no Arduino here with me right now. Code is from mind, hopefully the syntax is ok)

That method is dirty. Better would be to define your own command and use it in the custom dev point CustomDevPointLineRead as recommended above.

Arduino code with new function and parameters:

Serial.println("MyCustomClearCommand,A,2,B,200");

VBA code extension in Excel (press F11 to get to VBA code editor in Excel) in the module frmStampDAQ (right click 'Show code'):

Private Function CustomDevPointLineRead(newLine As String) As Boolean

CustomDevPointLineRead = True 'be true if not stated otherwise in this function
    Dim DataVal() As String

If Data <> "" Then
    DataVal = Split(Data, ",")
    If (UCase(DataVal(0)) = "MYCUSTOMCLEARCOMMAND") Then
        WStoUse.Range(WStoUse.Cells(DataVal(2), DataVal(1)), WStoUse.Cells(DataVal(4), DataVal(3))).ClearContents
        'line above translates to = Range(Cells(2,A),Cells(200,B)).ClearContents
        CustomDevPointLineRead = False
        'line above says that command was operated and no need to pass to main function
    End If
End If

End Function

The Range-clear-Command could be useful for many people so maybe I should integrate it into the standard and release with version 2.7. However that way you should be able to use it now already.

Hi, NetDevil

Thank you for your quick reply as always. I appreciate it.

As for 2. and 3., it works fine. Although you said 3. a) is dirty, it showed me a way to overwrite data in certain range, which is more suitable for my purpose than clearing contents then filling data. Thank you soooo much! I am looking forward to seeing new Range-clear-Command incorporated into Ver 2.7 in the near future, though. This tool is going to be a perfect solution to me.

What is still annoying me is 1. As you suggested, I just copied and pasted LarryD's entire code and ran it with no joy. It seems to me that his code works properly except GET function. Then I tried Ver 2.4, which I believe he used for his code. No joy. Then I changed his code based on your suggestion still with no joy. I am totally lost. Any idea? I really want to use his tool.

Best regards,

Sam