Bootloader Error - Arduino as ISP to ATmega1284

Trying to flash new firmware onto the Melzi board for my Monoprice Maker Select V2 3D printer. I uploaded the sketch for the Arduino as ISP to the Arduino but when i go to click "burn bootloader" i get the following error:

Arduino: 1.8.7 (Mac OS X), Board: "Sanguino, ATmega1284 or ATmega1284P (16 MHz)"

avrdude: stk500_getparm(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x14

avrdude: stk500_getparm(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x01
avrdude: stk500_initialize(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x10
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude: stk500_disable(): unknown response=0x12
Error while burning bootloader.

I've double checked all connections(even swapped out all the jumper wires i was using) and re-followed the steps with no change.
I'm at a loss as to what to do from here, brand new to all this.

Weird, expected 0x14, received 0x14 and error?
Post the log include used command. Eventually, switch on verbose output in preferences.
Looks like, incorrect board setup. Hard to say now. Check MCU type. The 1284 and 1284P have different chip signature but it doesn't seem to be problem for now.

If I understand you correctly(I'm brand new with all this, like my very first time using Arduino). The command I used was "burn bootloader" in the tools menu after I had already uploaded the "Arduino as ISP" example sketch to the Arduino. Here is there error its still giving me, after I've turned on "Show verbose output during compilation". Looking at the chip on the melzi board that I'm trying to use the bootloader for it says "1284P" not "1284". I'm not sure how to get the log to post on here. Also not sure how/where to find the MCU type.

Arduino: 1.8.7 (Mac OS X), Board: "Sanguino, ATmega1284 or ATmega1284P (16 MHz)"

avrdude: stk500_getparm(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x14

avrdude: stk500_getparm(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x01
avrdude: stk500_initialize(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x10
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude: stk500_disable(): unknown response=0x12
Error while burning bootloader.

Here are the images of how the board is setup with the Arduino Uno:
The pin setup is as follows -
5v - 5v
GND - GND
~10 - RES
~11 - MOSI
~12 - MISO
~13 - SCK

It looks connected correctly.
Verbose output can be switched on in the preferences of IDE.
The bootloader should work for both types. I was writing about selected type of MCU or board (Tools->Board->...)
And, the type of programmer: "Arduino as ISP" must be used in your case.

Try a 10uF (or larger, within reason) cap between reset and ground of the arduino being used as programmer (after you upload the Arduino as ISP sketch to it). Some people have reported that it fixed this issue (implying that it's talking to the bootloader on the board you're using as ISP, at the wrong baud rate - but that would mean it's seeing wrong-baud-rate gibberish that happens to read as 0x14?).

As for expected 0x14, recv 0x14, IIRC the protocol expects to get 0x14 three times in a row when it initializes the programmer. And it's getting a 0x14 and then two incorrect bytes. For the purposes of debugging, it is useful that it shows all three, not just the second two that are wrong.

incorrect board setup. Hard to say now. Check MCU type. The 1284 and 1284P have different chip signature but it doesn't seem to be problem for now. how we can do it ?