Editing the preferences.txt file

Just wondering if there is any reason I can't organize my preferences.txt file or do they have to be read in that order? (for the Arduino interface)

Also, is it possible to make comments in that file?

Thanks.

It appears you can order it any way you like - but before it exits the IDE rewrites the file with the current data so it will revert to the order that the IDE wants.

I want to change the colors of the interface and I get tired hunting for all the colors.

EDIT
I guess you can't do that either
Why put all these parameters in the preferences file if you can't change them?

You can change them. But the IDE reads them all into memory. Then when it shuts down it writes it out again, in the order it wants to.

I understand that, but changing the values don't change the colors.
So far all I have been able to change is the window size. None of the colors I have tried work.

Hi everyone. I have a strange problem. I cant upload anything to Uno. So i tried find some infromation. And find some answers about preferences.txt file. So i try to edit this file but have:

[user@localhost home]$ ~/.arduino/preferences.txt
-bash: /home/user/.arduino/preferences.txt: Permission denied

And even in root i have this:

[root@localhost user]# .arduino/preferences.txt
-bash: .arduino/preferences.txt: Permission denied

So maybe some one can help me. Thanks.

What platform are you on?

-br

FirstName:
Hi everyone. I have a strange problem. I cant upload anything to Uno. So i tried find some infromation. And find some answers about preferences.txt file. So i try to edit this file but have:

You are trying to execute the preferences.txt file, which is just a text file and not an executable.

billroy:
What platform are you on?

-br

Fedora 18, KDE. Linux.

spatula:

FirstName:

You are trying to execute the preferences.txt file, which is just a text file and not an executable.

Yes. Just used this kwrite ~/.arduino/preferences.txt with normal user works fine. Thank you.