TapaTalk...

if you don't know already, tapatalk is just an app on mobile devices that a lot of people use to browse forums.

I have it installed on one of my smf forums and it's been working great.

http://tapatalk.com/plugin.php

cheers,
Dave.

I read their documentation site and seems interesting. Do you have he free or the paid version?

David, I have the paid version, it's a great tool, when it works, the iPhone version at least is highly buggy and craps out often, infact right now I cannot access two forums through it because of the latest update.

But I'm pretty sure the forum software is stable and I'm almost certain it's free to add to the forum, so it wouldn't hurt anything for you to add it

Hello,

im using Tapatalk on all my Forums (phpBB3) and its working great now! They have done a lot off rework and iPhone / Android is working good.

Would love to see also Tapatalk here :slight_smile:

Even on my highly non electronics forum there are a lot o people now using it, i would imagine that here there are a LOT more users with smartphones!

greetings

Hello,
I would like to use tapatalk for arduino.cc, too!
thx, and best regards
fresapo

Please no. Tap-a-talk is a complete annoyance. Its a huge step backwards. There is a reason why modern devices support true HTML. Please learn how to use RSS and ATOM feeds. Tap-a-talk is a poor step backwards while trying hard to forget real, non-invasive technology solutions already exist; and have for many, many years now. Tap-a-talk is extremely annoying because it PUNISHES all users who actually do use RSS and ATOM feeds with their mobile devices.

There are a massive number of RSS, ATOM, and new aggregation applications, web services, and meta aggregation news sites. So please, don't adopt yet another solution, which is non-standard yet, and which punishes users who already have superior solutions.

The world would be a better place is tap-a-talk died on the vine tomorrow.

First of all, doesn't RSS and ATOM provide one-way interaction only? I mean only reading? Maybe Tapatalk isn't the ultimate tool and maybe it is a step backwards in terms of technology, but it allows me to have all my forums with me (when I'm for example stuck at the airport or when I'm on the go and within 3G coverage). Besides, it also conserves bandwith on mobile devices (comparing to fully-blown HTML), and that may be an important factor. Lastly, it's in fact an individual choice - the end user decides what technology he uses, but he must have a choice. Now he doesn't.

So, as Simple Machines approved the Tapatalk SMF Plugin, please extend the functionality of the forum.

krzyq:
but it allows me to have all my forums with me (when I'm for example stuck at the airport or when I'm on the go and within 3G coverage).

Check out the various RSS readers available for all mobile platforms. They both cache and periodically refresh. Google reader app is also tied to Google reader which makes desktop/mobile RSS subscription a snap. Beyond that even, there are some really nice, feature complete RSS readers.

Exactly - readers. And that's one of my points. Those tools make you a consumer, not a producer. You won't be able to take part in an interesting discussion - you'll have to open the mobile browser, pinch to zoom, sign in, navigate through the forum to the right thread etc. etc.
Tapatalk makes the forum interaction a streamlined experience, IMHO.

Would it not make more sense to simply install a mobile-device-friendly theme as an option for users to choose?

Doesn't require any special software.

krzyq:
Those tools make you a consumer, not a producer.

Desktop users commonly use the exact same system and they are the majority of content producers. The device is what makes most people a consumer and not a producer. Its universally agreed smartphones are crappy input device. Devices with a keyboard are slightly better than those without but in both cases using these devices for production of anything is a horrible experience. To some degree, this is what's behind the tablet movement.

krzyq:
Would it not make more sense to simply install a mobile-device-friendly theme as an option for users to choose?

This, IMO, is the preferred route and is somewhat commonly done for exactly these reasons: save bandwidth, speed responsiveness, allows for easy/compatible content creation from more limited devices, and is universally compatible.

Hi there,
the last reply to this post has been posted a long time ago..
Has some choice been made in order to get this forum more usable (rw) from mobile?

Thanks