Can I run an arduino from 240v

I have a project where my arduino needs to be sitting in the power meter box for my house. This is on the outside of the house.

There is only the meter in this box - no power socket for me to use, and batteries will be a problem with how long they last.

A case of Power Everywhere and no power for me to use - a bit like floating in an ocean with no water to drink!

Is there any way I can get 5-9v inductivly from the mains power?

Chris

Well you could take the obvious route and gut out a wall wart. :wink:

Greenbean209:
Well you could take the obvious route and gut out a wall wart. :wink:

Where is the fun in that?

No where. But seriously don't go reinventing the wheel when it comes to ac.

Also wasn't this a question if it can be done? Cuz it can

Greenbean209:
No where. But seriously don't go reinventing the wheel when it comes to ac.

Also wasn't this a question if it can be done? Cuz it can

So can you help me out by giving me a circuit or maybe some links to look at?

Chris

I just saw that you wrote the word inductively, though clever, you probably won't get enough stable current to power up your circuit. In addition, it would require that current always be flowing i.e. a few kW of constant usage in the house.

I assume you will also be measuring the current inductively to calculate usage?

Have you considered solar power to keep the logic going?

Make sure you stay clear of those bare un-fused rails, they are certain death if you touch them.

zeropoint:
I assume you will also be measuring the current inductively to calculate usage?

No I am just simply counting pulses on the LED on the meter - 1600 per KWh

So far quite safe as I am keepiung away from the live wires.

It was just a thought as I am surrounded by power but none that I can use!

Chris

When I replied earlier I totally miss read the inductive part. The main problem I can see is that our power mains arent made to randomly induct into whatever circuit wraps it's self around it. You gotta first wire the main to a coil to establish a strong oscillating field. Basically like an antenna only the can you absorb the current into a concentric coil. So essentially you gotta make a transformer to induct. Basically your gonna have to touch the main.

On the topic of alternative energy... You are right up against a house correct? The is bound to be a breeze across the wall. Wind mill is an idea but still unreliable.

Perhaps you could treat it like on of those cheap personal weather monitors. They often have just a long barrel jack cable running out a closed window. Plugged into the wall inside of course.

Greenbean209:
Perhaps you could treat it like on of those cheap personal weather monitors. They often have just a long barrel jack cable running out a closed window. Plugged into the wall inside of course.

You may be right here - Quick and simple

Chris