Taking and displaying 10 temperature measurements

I want button A to do is act as a trigger to switch the device out of standby mode. I plan to power this device by batteries so I want as little power consumption as possible. My rationale in saving the 10 measurements to memory is in case the communications link is busy.

Writing to 10 float values to EEPROM is no problem. Using a full up Uno is problematic when considering low power. The USB-serial subsystem, various LEDs, running at 16Mhz, etc consume power (around 50 mA, I think). A stand alone 328 running at 8Mhz can consume less than 1/4 the power. Then there is sleeping the processor (something new for me) to get current consumption into the micro amp range. low power

Button B simulates a detector which detects the passing targets. As soon a button B detects the target, I need it to take the temperature. The targets pass in groups of 10, but may vary in speed.

Is button B is some sort of detector? What exactly? So the sampling of the temperature for each object triggered by the "button B detector" as well as sensing the arrival of the first object? So, button A is pressed, the unit enters measurement mode, the detector senses the first of ten, takes the reading, stores the reading, senses and reads 9 more objects and reads each of their temperatures, storing each reading then returns to standby? Now the temperatures are stored in EEPROM and the unit is in standby mode, do we use a button to send the data?

The target is only 30 mm in diameter and could be passing at a speeds up to 10 m/s so the reading could be as quick as 3 ms.

Will the temperature sensor respond quickly enough?

The minimum time between readings would be approximately 150 ms.

That must be the time between sets of 10 readings?

The maximum distance would be 1 km. More likely 500 m. I was hoping that it would be received and sent to a PC. The PC would then display an alarm if any of the targets are overheating. I don't have a program to do this yet.

The wireless module that I have experience with that has that sort of range (claimed, unobstructed line of sight) is the APC220 radio. I have read of the XBee radios that might have that sort of range. Long range wireless is not a area where I have much expertise.

I can help to get to the reading, storing and sending of the data to the serial monitor via serial. From there adding wireless should be pretty easy once a wireless method is chosen. A simple Processing Processing.org/ program could read the serial data and do pretty much what ever you need with the data.