Go Down

Topic: Your latest purchase (Read 455922 times) previous topic - next topic

Boardburner2

Note the date.

But I'm afraid it's too late now.

Best wishes

Allan
I am thinking the same but have hope seeing some of the youngersters being interviewed , maybe the next generation can do something when the gun freaks have died off.

msssltd

Feb 18, 2018, 03:10 pm Last Edit: Feb 18, 2018, 03:11 pm by msssltd
My most recent purchases were a video game and a packet of cigarettes. 
Are you arguing that it is more acceptable that 480,000 die every year from smoking than 14,000 that die in gun violence each year?  Is a life a life or no?
Have you stopped beating your wife?  Sorry, just wanted to point out you are making a straw-man argument.

IF we made a 5% difference in how many people smoked that would save 24k lives. If we banned all guns and video games the government deems detrimental to society, and that cut gun violence by 100 perecent thats still only 14k lives saved.
I'm surprised the video games = mass shootings rhetoric is still being spouted.  30 years of wider psychological study pretty much debunks there being any causal corroboration - Were it so, countries like the Netherlands, which have very high per capita sales of video games, would have a very high instance of mass shootings, which they don't.  The psychology points towards psychotic killers finding video gaming desirable, the same way they find pulling the legs off spiders desirable.  Ultimately it takes a rare lack of empathy to cross the boundary between violent fantasy and violent reality - Imagining you might murder your boss is pretty normal.

You seem to be arguing that some life is worth saving and some is not.
I was a regular smoker and now it's an on/off thing.   The last time I went for a medical the doctor asked, how do you treat your body.  I replied, I have had my money's worth. 

The vast majority of smoking related deaths occur near the end of a natural life, with much opportunity to give up having been missed.  A kid gunned down at school is robbed of their entire adult life and has little opportunity to choose where they live.  The law recognises the moral difference in the award of damages.

IMO tobacco should be put on prescription.  Easy access to tobacco is the reason I never manage to give it up for good.

msssltd

Also bought a TP-LINK SG108E
Have a couple of the TL-SG108PE (PoE version) on the bench at the moment.

robtillaart

Have a couple of the TL-SG108PE (PoE version) on the bench at the moment. 
Do you have a link to a good doc/book/pdf about vlan configuration and that sort of tech?
Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Qdeathstar

msssltd, not a straw man argument at all. He commented that smoking is a choice. How am i supposed to take that statement other than to say smoking deaths are more OK than shooting deaths?

If he is saying that, It's his argument to make, but for me, a life is a life.

A small change in the amount of smokers would result in a large amount of lives being saved
A large change in the amount of mass shooters would result in a small amount of lives being saved.

How is that "an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument."

A creaking creeping shadow
stiff against the freezing fog
glares at a tickless watch.

Time has failed him -- all things shall pass.

robtillaart

Feb 18, 2018, 04:39 pm Last Edit: Feb 18, 2018, 04:40 pm by robtillaart
Moderator request:  Lets keep to the subject about latest purchases here.
Not about gun laws that are not Arduino related.

Rob Tillaart

msssltd

Do you have a link to a good doc/book/pdf about vlan configuration and that sort of tech?
1. Requirement - Why do I need a VLAN?
2. Specification - What sort of VLAN fits the requirement?
3. Procurement - What device provides the VLAN functionality which matches the specification?
4. Implementation - How do I configure a VLAN and that sort of tech, on the device I have procured?

Answers to Q1, as good as any, can be found in post 2, here  https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/85928-why-use-a-vlan

Basic knowledge of OSI (7 layer concept) is assumed.

Typically, a single 8 port switch provides no good reason and several reasons not, to implement a VLAN.

robtillaart

1. Requirement - Why do I need a VLAN?
2. Specification - What sort of VLAN fits the requirement?
3. Procurement - What device provides the VLAN functionality which matches the specification?
4. Implementation - How do I configure a VLAN and that sort of tech, on the device I have procured?

Answers to Q1, as good as any, can be found in post 2, here  https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/85928-why-use-a-vlan

Basic knowledge of OSI (7 layer concept) is assumed.

Typically, a single 8 port switch provides no good reason and several reasons not, to implement a VLAN.
Thanks for the answer/link.

I need for a separate network for testing without other network traffic. I can create a standalone network, and the switch will do the job too. As needs grow/differ in near future I also want to learn about QOS and VLAN etc Therefor I bought the managed version of the switch to get some hands on experience.
Rob Tillaart

TomGeorge

Feb 19, 2018, 09:38 am Last Edit: Feb 19, 2018, 09:39 am by TomGeorge
Hi,
Before Christmas I was given a nice constructors pen by one of our suppliers who we have bought heavily off in 2017.
I believed it was this pen, available locally for about $15.00AUS.

It ran out of ink today, so I went looking for the ink cartridge, which is not a standard size.
My pen has TROIKA written on it, I noticed that the above pen actually had some subtle differences, and is actually a cheap copy.
This is a TROIKA. "Mine ! ! !  :) :) :) :)"

On ebay they sell for $50 to $70... :o :o :o :o
The Australian TROIKA shop sells them for $35.. hmmm might be some money to make... :) :) :)
Refils 5 for $12.
So, I will treat it with a bit of care from now on...

Tom.. :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

msssltd

I need for a separate network for testing without other network traffic.
That would be a port based VLAN. 

Port based VLANs partition the switch into mulitple 'virtual' switches.  Sometimes called a vertical partition - Imagine several switches in a stack with a line drawn vertically down the stack.  However, no one port can appear in more than one port group.  For a port group to reach the internet, you would need to assign one port  to the router uplink. 

An 8 port switch, partitioned into 2 port groups, with each group able to reach the internet, ends up having only 6 ports usable by devices - And you start to realise the limitation of a single 8 port managed switch. 

I also want to learn about QOS and VLAN etc
QoS is a subject in it's own right but once again, brings little utility to a small network.  QoS (only) works on egress, when traffic leaves a port.  With a Gb of bandwidth, and the major bottleneck (typically) imposed by an asymmetric link to an ISP who is unlikely to respect your tags, once again the limits of having only 8 ports starts to bite.  You might find a reason (VOIP, CCTV) to use port based or DSCP QoS, at a push.

Shame they don't do SNMP as that is useful, even in a small network.

For training purposes, I recommend grabbing hold of a Ubiquiti ERX5.  For a little over 50 bucks you get a whole bunch of L2-L7 functionality in one box.  Not as fast as a Microtik but far more flexible.  It's a steal at the price.

robtillaart

That would be a port based VLAN. 
Did a few hours of youtube and reading about VLAN's and the SG108 also can assign one port as MTU port which is part of every VLAN of the switch so 1 only need one line to the router. That gives me 7 ports to divide over the different VLAN groups (e.g. one group of 2 and one group of 5 devices)

Thanks,
Rob Tillaart

msssltd

MTU is TP-Link's one-click version of a multi-tenancy configuration.  The switch is partitioned into 7 separate VLANs, all sharing the uplink (MTU) port.  When Port 1 is assigned to the MTU.  Port 1 can communicate with all ports.  Ports 2-8 can only communicate with Port 1.  The common use case is where each port is a downlink to an unmanaged switch.

It looks like you might be able to do what you want using 802.1Q.
https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-788.html

Layer 3 could get  interesting though

robtillaart

MTU is TP-Link's one-click version of a multi-tenancy configuration.  The switch is partitioned into 7 separate VLANs, all sharing the uplink (MTU) port.  When Port 1 is assigned to the MTU.  Port 1 can communicate with all ports.  Ports 2-8 can only communicate with Port 1.  The common use case is where each port is a downlink to an unmanaged switch.

It looks like you might be able to do what you want using 802.1Q.
https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-788.html

Layer 3 could get  interesting though
thanks
Rob Tillaart

westfw

Costco "Hackintosh" (Dell 8930), plus a 512G M2 PCIe SSD to go in it.  Finally getting around to replacing my 2008 Mac Pro (and I've given up the idea that Apple might give me what I want.  Sigh.)  (Got the 4k monitor for it a while ago.  No being able to connect that to the old Mac was the last nail in the coffin.)

The installation of MacOS High Sierra took a bit of fiddling, but it seems to be working well.   Transferring data is being "annoying" - copying data over the net is slow (I'm not sure why.)  And "Photos" just took several hours to process my old iPhoto library.

Robin2

Transferring data is being "annoying" - copying data over the net is slow (I'm not sure why.)  And "Photos" just took several hours to process my old iPhoto library.
I have all my stuff on a USB drive only so transferring to another PC is just plug out and plug in.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Go Up