Enhanced Serial Monitor - Version 3.1.3 UPDATE

LCD emulator
• 80 columns by 25 rows.
• Write text anywhere on the ‘screen’ in any of 7 colours for foreground and background.
• Scroll command to you can treat it like a TTY display.
• Make up your own user interface.

Freeform drawing surface
• 500 pixels by 500 pixels drawing surface.
• Commands for line, rectangle ellipse, arc and pie, filled and unfilled, cross and text, in various sizes and orientations and in 5 colours.
• For example plot out your robot path.

Alert reporter with the ability to run external programs
• Somewhere to report special events to the user.
• Option to send run commands to start programs.

PS3 controller visualiser
• Displays PS3 or similar controller button and joystick values.
• Green shows values unchanged since last reading.
• Orange shows values that have changed since last reading.
• Red shows values that are at maximum.
• Joystick position cross hairs.
• Useful for watching what the controller is sending to your robot for example.
• See how sensitive the different buttons are.
• Note if the joysticks are not self centring or minimum/maximum values not reached.

XY scatter plotter
• See the relationship between two values for up to five different sets.
• Easy user control of axis settings.

Sweep plotter
• Trace like oscilloscope.
• Five traces with a resolution between 10 and 1000 points.
• For example watch accelerometer and gyro readings.

Histogram plotter
• 21 bar histogram.
• Shows percentage of observations and count of observations.
• Over and under range outlier recording.
• Simple statistics - mean, min and max of within range observations.

IMU visualiser
• Roll and pitch visualisation.
• Invert option to suit installed orientation of breakout board.
• Accelerometer and gyroscope readings (including gyro drift summation)

wow!

2 questions came up:
Can I save the plots made as JPG, (or better as csv file and rerun ?)
support for VT100 emulator?

20+years since I did a VT100 emulator.... I think not :astonished:

I'll add print and save to the wish list - good ideas

Wow! Lot of capabilities there!

Sorry if I have missed something, but what is the current status of this? It sounds brilliant, but the only link I can find has a warning above it saying not to download it. Is there a stable version yet: if so, where would I find it?

JohnGeddes:
Sorry if I have missed something, but what is the current status of this? It sounds brilliant, but the only link I can find has a warning above it saying not to download it. Is there a stable version yet: if so, where would I find it?

There was insufficient interest shown by the community to justify me freezing a build version and allowing it to be downloaded. So I just keep on using it and updating the features as I need them (auto scaling has been added, for example, to the scope style trace).

I was expecting more interest as this adds a shed load of information to the developer...

If more interest can be generated then I'll look into letting it out again.

Cheers Alan

Hi Alan,

Think it is a pity you do not provide a latest (BETA) version of your Serial tool, so please reconsider.

I have written several classes/libs for Arduino and posted them on the playground and for most of them there was little feedback too, especially after the first days. So I recognize your argument.
Still by keeping providing the (almost) latest version I collected valuable feedback over time - yes, in small amounts with large intervals - But sometimes I get a thank you mail or I find a lib back in some university project, indicating there is more interest than on first sight.

I rest my case :wink:

This may be exactly what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a way to monitor 4 sensors (3 temp and one flow meter) and plot data to a graph. I'll have to play with this and see what I can come up with. Thanks!

SXRguyinMA:
This may be exactly what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a way to monitor 4 sensors (3 temp and one flow meter) and plot data to a graph. I'll have to play with this and see what I can come up with. Thanks!

I can send you a copy to try if you are interested.

Cheers Alan

robtillaart:
Hi Alan,

Think it is a pity you do not provide a latest (BETA) version of your Serial tool, so please reconsider.

I have written several classes/libs for Arduino and posted them on the playground and for most of them there was little feedback too, especially after the first days. So I recognize your argument.
Still by keeping providing the (almost) latest version I collected valuable feedback over time - yes, in small amounts with large intervals - But sometimes I get a thank you mail or I find a lib back in some university project, indicating there is more interest than on first sight.

I rest my case :wink:

I'll send out individual copies to interested parties so I can keep an eye on it more easily then review the situation.

cheers Alan

fantastic work .. where to download?

I developed this app for chrome idea very similar but less complete as your

http://www.dataino.it/help/document_tutorial.php?id=13

dataino:
fantastic work .. where to download?

I developed this app for chrome idea very similar but less complete as your

http://www.dataino.it/help/document_tutorial.php?id=13

That looks very interesting.

I'll work on a build this week and some sample code and docs so its easy to get going and email it to those who have asked to have a look at it.

language with which you have developed?