Go Down

Topic: Javascript (Read 33 times) previous topic - next topic

TolpuddleSartre

I need recommendations for a course/tutorial for Javascript.

I'm comfortable with C/C++ and Java, plus a smattering of HTML, but Javascript is new to me.
"I've gone off the idea of progress. It's overrated."
Arthur Dent

Robin2

I don't have any recommendations for tutorials - I learned it (to the extent that I know it) piecemeal over a long time. I got a lot of help from the w3schools website.

Make sure to check out JQuery which makes a lot of tasks a lot easier. And there are many other similar javascript helper libraries.

Another thing you should get familiar with are the debugging tools in Firefox (I assume Chrome has a similar feature). It points out javascript errors among other things.

By design javascript fails silently so it can be very frustrating to debug without Firefox's aid.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Coding Badly

Jun 20, 2018, 08:50 pm Last Edit: Jun 20, 2018, 08:53 pm by Coding Badly

I suggest you couple JavaScript with something else like client-side-scripting or node.js then look for a tutorial.

Bear in mind that, for the purposes of tutorial searching, "JavaScript" and "ECMAScript" are often interchangeable.

Mozilla does a reasonably good job of documenting JavaScript (including tutorials) as it relates to browsers...
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript

If I remember correctly, IBM has good references / tutorials for node.js.

If you like to get out of the house from time-to-time then NodeSchool is a good choice.  The one in Dallas gets the host to provide food and drinks.

Go Up