Help- using an arduino to make a midi controller

Then you shouldn't be writing a ton of code. Write code only for the hardware you have, and test each piece of hardware separately. Only when a piece works correctly independently should you move on and try to combine it with other hardware.

I see your point, but this code is mainly extracted from several links, and I know that those pieces of code work. So whilst waiting for the hardware, instead of plugging in code that I know will work, I thought I would try and create code that does the basic principle I want my code to do, But I do agree with you that trial and error is most probably the single best way of learning to do this.

Learning the correct terminology will be helpful. There are functions in the code you posted, not commands. When referring to functions, the return type (void) is completely unnecessary verbiage.

After I posted my latest post, I went and extensively researched that void function. I even asked a friend who was a programmer. the problem I have is I don't understand the purpose/format of this line : "void midiCC(char command, char value1, char value2){" as I havent assigned a "command", a "value1" or a "value2", I even used the annotation midiCC twice... problem is every single piece of functioning midi interface code I've seen has it, but no where can I find an explanation as to why.

Well, this implies that you are trying to merge hardware you no little about, software you know even less about, with technology you don't understand. Is this a school project, by any chance?

If you focus on one aspect at a time, instead of jumping in the deep end, the whole process will be more pleasant. Get some hardware. Write some code to drive it, or be driven by it. Integrate that hardware with other hardware. Join the code to drive the new hardware with the overall application sketch. Don't move forward until you understand how the hardware and software that you have installed/written play together.

Your pretty much spot on with my knowledge. But no I'm not at school, I'm actually at university and this is not a project for my degree, This is a personal challenge/hobby I've set myself, as I've wanted to do this since I was about 15, but I only recently found out the proper way to do it. I've just finished my first year of studying mechanical engineering, sadly the only thing that my degree has as a transferable skill is basic programming (I have had to write code in MATLAB). But I've always been fascinated by electronics and I recently found that an arduino bridges that gap between hardware and software. Essentially I'm just looking to broaden my knowledge with this and electronics as I find them very intriguing.

Now when it comes to midi... IT IS HORRIFIC TO FIND A GOOD SOURCE OF KNOWLEDGE FOR IT... I have read through countless hours of junk about midi, starting from the very basics and going to the very complex, on other pieces of guitar equipment I have, I have found exactly the midi information I need. but simply this kaoss pad I feel has a very badly explained table.

personally I think midi is a terrible technology and they shouldn't have done it so early. cus now were stuck with it.

But if someone could help me understand how that table works, or even how that void function works. I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks to all.