CE certification, does anybody have experience gaining Ce cetification?

a long shot, i know but does anybody have experience in this, i understand the basics and whats involved any advice would be great
cheers

I have put many products through CE. It is basically a self certificating thing. The vital thing to sort out is the class of the product. From that flows what standards you have to follow.

yes i understand its self certification, you have to generate a tech file containing everything on your unit

but you have to get what have to pass certain standards in my case the low voltage directive, and an emf tests what test houses did you use if any?

Well a tech file is just one way.
I used York EMC mainly plus a few others. Charges are about £800 a day for compliance testing. You need safety as well. Just saying it has to comply to the low voltage directive does not narrow it down much. You have to know what class of device you are dealing with.

To simplify getting the CE mark on a project a friend and I collaborated on using PIC microcontrollers he found using an enclosed and already certified PSU module helped.

Riva:
To simplify getting the CE mark on a project a friend and I collaborated on using PIC microcontrollers he found using an enclosed and already certified PSU module helped.

Sorry but that does not simplify the requirements in any way. If you have relied on this then you have done it wrong and you self certification might not be valid.

really makes you think how many products that are sold in the eu that are really ce tested, after having looked into costs i think a lot take the gamble, read somewhere falsifying a ce mark incurs a fine max 5k

im sure its tempting for some just to stick on a ce mark and take the gamble

Grumpy_Mike:
Sorry but that does not simplify the requirements in any way. If you have relied on this then you have done it wrong and you self certification might not be valid.

The product only crossed with the EMC directive and we took the below excerpt to mean fitting an already certified and shielded PSU to power the microcontroller (both in another metal box) would be exempt.

1. This Directive shall not apply to equipment the inherent
    nature of the physical characteristics of which is such that:
    (a) it is incapable of generating or contributing to electromag-
    netic emissions which exceed a level allowing radio and
    telecommunication equipment and other equipment to
    operate as intended; and
    (b) it will operate without unacceptable degradation in the
    presence of the electromagnetic disturbance normally
    consequent upon its intended use.

The product only crossed with the EMC directive and we took the below excerpt to mean fitting an already certified and shielded PSU to power the microcontroller (both in another metal box) would be exempt.

No that is not what that means. Nothing is exempt. Any configuration of pre tested modules must be tested in the configuration that they are sold in. They can not assume to comply just because individual components comply.

Grumpy_Mike:

No that is not what that means. Nothing is exempt. Any configuration of pre tested modules must be tested in the configuration that they are sold in. They can not assume to comply just because individual components comply.

Figured using a pre tested PSU and wrapping the entire project in metal would ensure it complied with a & b. Sure does not seem to generate interference as it sits in a a bay with video overlay equipment and generates no EDH errors.
Good job we don't make and sell them any more :smiley:

Wrapping things in metal more often than not produces worst emissions than a bare circuit board. This is because you set up a resonant cavity inside producing a much stronger field. Then it gets onto the wires going into / out of the metal box and radiates that way.

As well as radiated emissions there are conducted emissions through cables, as well as susceptibility tests to perform. In addition depending on the class of device you might have to pass surge tests where large voltage spikes are put on the line. Then there is the ESD tests where you zap everything accessible to a user with 2 to 4 KV of electro static discharge.