[Question] Arduino sound detection

Hello All,

I am a newbie to Arduino world. I would like to build a project that detect a specific sound in the room then upon occurrence, play a specific a per-recorded sound.

I dunno if I can use Arduino to achieve such a result also, I dunno what kind of tools/Software as well as components should I use?

Any guidance will be appreciated.

Thanks

Any guidance will be appreciated.

Learn a lot more about sound.

I would like to build a project that detect a specific sound in the room

What sort of specific sound? This can be almost impossible to do with any degree of accuracy.

play a specific a per-recorded sound.

For that you will need something like a wave shield.

I am a newbie to Arduino world.

This is too advanced to be a beginners project, build up your skills towards it. Break it down into parts. The playing is the easy bit, buy a shield and do that first before worrying about the trigger.

Thank you so much for your reply.

Learn a lot more about sound.

Could you please suggest to me the topics that I need to learn about them?
As far as I know, I need to learn more about "Pattern Recognition". Is that enough?

What sort of specific sound? This can be almost impossible to do with any degree of accuracy.

The system has to be triggered with one word then it will respond to it with a sound.
e.g.
Listen: Hello
System Reply: Hello

According to the published paper about "Audio Fingerprint" from TU Braunschweig in Germany (Project by VW), they managed to get it to work with an accuracy of 74%

It is not that good but it still not so bad

Another Question:
Is it recommended to use "Arduino" for this project or should I think about another tool (e.g. Raspberry PI)?

To do the voice recognition on the AVR is probably going to be difficult/impossible but there are chips for doing this sort of thing that work with Arduino.

You need to learn about sample rates and quantisation errors.
So it is not a sound but speech, again it is almost impossible, an accuracy of 95% in practice is useless so 75% is little more than just tossing a coin.

How many words do you want to distinguish? The Arduino has little memory to hold much in the away od a template for one word let anyone many.

As I said before this project is way over your head with your current state of knowledge.

You can use the processor that Riva suggested as an add on. Note this is not the Arduino doing the recognition but the chip in the shield, it is not very good either.

The Raspberry Pi while it has the processing speed and the memory will not allow real time operation to simply digitise an input audio stream.