Is there.....,,, and why.....

a comprehensive listing of the compile errors and their actual meanings?

did the arduino devs decide that javascript what the way to go for the IDE?

The IDE is written in Java which is entirely different from Javascript.

The great advantage of Java is that it will run on any Operating System that has the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) installed.

...R

There are lots of languages that will run on any OS with a "virtual machine" installed. Perl, python, PHP, Ruby, HTML5, Tcl/TK, etc. But that ignores the fact that the heart of the IDE is the gcc compiler which is OS-specific.

Chagrin:
There are lots of languages that will run on any OS with a "virtual machine" installed. Perl, python, PHP, Ruby, HTML5, Tcl/TK, etc.

Each of those requires there own "virtual machine" and, for example, it is not at all simple to get Ruby running on another OS with all the necessary "libraries". In that sense Python is very much better.

But none of them AFAIK carries the standardization as far as the Java JVM. Of course the Java language is a real PITA. But JRuby works very nicely and has access to all the Java libraries.

I was not aware that gcc is OS specific when it is cross-compiling for an Arduino.

...R

C_Raynor:
a comprehensive listing of the compile errors and their actual meanings?

Basically no because any one error message can be triggered by any number of errors. For just a simple example a mismatched brackets error could mean too many ( or not enough ), or the other way round. An error is triggered when ever the compiler gets confused. This means the error can be anywhere up to the line it got confused on. Most times it is the line before not the line that is highlited.

A comprehensive listing of error messages could probably be obtained with a simple "strings avr-gcc.exe", but it might prove a little too complete. 8)

I think as the OP is saying

and their actual meanings

implies he wants to know what they mean. You and I know that they mean what they say, but I think he is after a list of what causes each error message message, which is not possible.