Arduino with AVR Dragon

I want to get a programmer to use (sometimes) instead of the bootloader.

I understand that I can use a programmer with the IDE and I thought the AVR dragon might be a nice christmas present to myself. It would let me experiment with JTAG and other fancy things besides the basic programming.

Has anyone used a dragon with the arduino IDE?

Ok, I can now answer from experience. The dragon was not a good choice.

It may be possible to get it working with arduino but the drivers are incompatible with the ones that get installed with AVR Studio which is how you get access to all the fun stuff JTAG, debugwire etc.

I would have been better to get a simpler isp-only programmer.

Ah, well, live and learn...

What in particular doesn't work? I'm trying to burn bootloaders from arduino using the dragon via jtag. I can do it using avrdude, but would be nice to do it using arduino too.

You may want to try Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting. . THis ide gives you the opportunety to program with the Arduino libs and environment, yet use whatever hardware (programmer!) you like.. it also handles 'regular' AVR code, so its a great all in one solution...

What in particular doesn't work? I'm trying to burn bootloaders from arduino using the dragon via jtag. I can do it using avrdude, but would be nice to do it using arduino too.

If I recall correctly the ide/avrdude coughs because it can't find a device called "usb".

You may want to try Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting. . THis ide gives you the opportunety to program with the Arduino libs and environment, yet use whatever hardware (programmer!) you like.. it also handles 'regular' AVR code, so its a great all in one solution...

Thanks - that's interesting.