Arduino Due (released Oct 22, 2012) Compatibility

retrolefty:
What would be your recommendation to a newbie to the hobby (with little or no electronics or software experiance) as to which would be their best choice to enter the arduino world once the Due is in fact avalible. I vote Uno, you vote ?

I vote for purchasing a copy of Grob's "Basic Electronics", a copy of "Art of Electronics", and a copy (set?) of Mims' "Mini-Notebooks" - plus a breadboard, a couple of "Super Surprise" boxes of floor sweepings from Electronic Goldmine, and a cheapo harbor freight multi-meter (free with coupon!). Plus some batteries I guess. Then they should sit and study those books, do the math (at least know what Ohm's Law is!), and attempt to understand why they shouldn't just willy-nilly hook parts up to their Arduino then wonder why it let the magic smoke out.

Does that make me sound like an "old man"? That I want people to understand the basics, to know how to walk, before they learn how to run? To have at least a basic understanding so they don't destroy (and get frustrated with) their $30.00 microcontroller board (Arduino or otherwise)? Is that too much to ask today?