8-bit LCD-library has became obsolete?

Present version of http://www.arduino.cc/en/uploads/Tutorial/LiquidCrystal.zip gives me this:

LiquidCrystal.cpp:8: error: declaration of C function 'void pinMode(int, int)' conflicts with
C:\Documents and Settings\m\Desktop\arduino-0010\hardware\cores\arduino/wiring.h:74: error: previous declaration 'void pinMode(uint8_t, uint8_t)' here
LiquidCrystal.cpp:9: error: declaration of C function 'void digitalWrite(int, int)' conflicts with
C:\Documents and Settings\m\Desktop\arduino-0010\hardware\cores\arduino/wiring.h:75: error: previous declaration 'void digitalWrite(uint8_t, uint8_t)' here
LiquidCrystal.cpp:10: error: declaration of C function 'int digitalRead(int)' conflicts with
C:\Documents and Settings\m\Desktop\arduino-0010\hardware\cores\arduino/wiring.h:76: error: previous declaration 'int digitalRead(uint8_t)' here

So this library was only mented for some previous versions of Arduino IDE?
Is there any point to fix these and how or should I give a try for those 4-bit libraries?

searching on LiquidCrystal.cpp:8: error: brings up this thread that covers a few ways to get this to compile

Acutally it would be possible to make a lib that can be used both with 4 and 8 bit

i'm sure some cleaning is needed and adding the same print methods as the Serial object would be perfect..

if somebody is up for the challenge that would be perfect..

massimo

I might do something with it, I got mine LCD working.
If my code and my standards met I will release my version :stuck_out_tongue:

As a side note, this guy is talking about implementing a revised LCD library.

--Phil.

For the minimal ($8 + cost of LCD of your choice) cost, and the benefits... see below... I wonder why anyone would drive an LCD directly, instead of using the little LCD controller from ModernDevice.com, based on Peter Anderson's PIC.

Not that I don't also enjoy climbing mountains "because they are there"... but if I just wanted a display, I'd use the controller and climb one of the other mountains.

Controller benefits: Drive it with ASCII, including "programming" with escape sequences.
-- Only ties up one pin of Arduino output. Admittedly, the serial out pin if you are lazy... but there are ways around that.

More at....

And no, I don't participate in the profits. Just a happy customer.

searching on LiquidCrystal.cpp:8: error: brings up this thread that covers a few ways to get this to compile

That did it. Who do you have to talk to to get permission to edit that LCDLibrary page? I could at least update the attached library and the documentation. :slight_smile:

For the minimal ($8 + cost of LCD of your choice) cost, and the benefits... see below... I wonder why anyone would drive an LCD directly, instead of using the little LCD controller from ModernDevice.com, based on Peter Anderson's PIC.

The $9 (it went up?) is 180% of the cost of the LCD alone. I picked up a couple off eBay for $5 each plus shipping ($14 total for two). It seems excessive. Handy, yes, but expensive. I'm going to see what I can accomplish in 4-bit mode before jumping on that bandwagon. I appreciate the link and recommendation, however! :slight_smile:

That did it. Who do you have to talk to to get permission to edit that LCDLibrary page? I could at least update the attached library and the documentation. :slight_smile:

Good to hear you got it going. And it would be a help to others if you could update that code. Try sending an email saying what you want to do to: team@arduino.cc.

This is a response to the observation that the LCD controller adds to the expense of a project...

Yes, $9 is $9... but by spending that cash, I can save pins from my Arduino to use them for more interesting things, and save memory.

Of course for some applications neither pins nor memory are limiting factors... so I'll be delighted if the LCD library thrives. To me a lot of the fun of designing things is balancing the pros and cons of alterante solutions.

Tom

(Sorry for my "bad" information on the price... I took up the 3-for-$24 offer. Blalor is right: for 1 kit it is $9)

Good to hear you got it going. And it would be a help to others if you could update that code. Try sending an email saying what you want to do to: team@arduino.cc.

Email sent!

Tom, you make a good point on the LCD controller. It looks like a very handy little thing to have, and I may still end up going down that road (I'm not sure my current project is going to have enough pins to do what I need), but I'm trying to develop it with an eye towards cost (which is really freakin' hilarious if you know me!). ;D