Any interest in an ARM version of SdFat

I was interested in using sdio with this interface chip using an nxp chip http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/SDIO101.pdf
but it uses some weird mount and I can not find a dip adapter for it and also Graynomad I do want support for sdio and your comment made me laugh!

Mr_arduino,

Why do you want to use this part? It may be great in some product but maybe not in the Arduino hobby world.

Why are you laughing at Graynomad? His question is reasonable.

A DIP adapter for a 60-pin SDIO part could make some people laugh but not me.

fat16lib:
Mr_arduino,

Why do you want to use this part? It may be great in some product but maybe not in the Arduino hobby world.

Why are you laughing at Graynomad? His question is reasonable.

A DIP adapter for a 60-pin SDIO part could make some people laugh but not me.

I want to use this part to improve transfer rate by using a hardware sdio controller and that is what the sdio ic does.
I am laughing with Graynomad because as far as I am aware he was joking with me and the simily face to me signifies that he is joking.
And no if I do make a shield it will not just be a dip adapter but I just want an adapter to prototype it to see how much faster it is and how well it works with the arduino.

An SDIO shield for an AVR Arduino? Tell us more.

I think I may hear laughter in the distance but lets wait

I think you may have gotten my comment about the shield mixed up with my comment on graynomad and that explaining were the laughter part must have came in but anyways to tell you more about the avr/arduino shield it will include a 1.8v regulator and a 3.3v regulator so that it is compatible with 5v the arduino and many other micro-controllers that use 5v also it will include a level shifter to get the logic down from 5v to 3.3v and it will include a regular sized sd card interconnect. And also I will include a real time clock. I have not worked out all the details yet as I still don't even own this chip or an adapter for it but like I said if I do make a shield I will make sure that it is better than buying an sdio101 and a dip adapter.

SPI is the fastest bus on AVR. For Arduino the max speed is 8 MHz and it is programmed I/O so the The best speed to an SD is about 820 microseconds to write a 512 byte block. I don't see how your shield will improve much on this. The current SdFat can do this.

Other modern micro-controllers have fine SDIO controllers so a shield makes no sense.

The problem is not so much hardware but how to handle file systems on SD flash. This is what I am working on.

There are at least two type of apps that one can optimize. One is data logging where latency is the problem so you don't lose data. The other is where the average rate is important. These require different approaches.

What are you trying to accomplish? What is your application?

fat16lib:
SPI is the fastest bus on AVR. For Arduino the max speed is 8 MHz and it is programmed I/O so the The best speed to an SD is about 820 microseconds to write a 512 byte block. I don't see how your shield will improve much on this. The current SdFat can do this.

Other modern micro-controllers have fine SDIO controllers so a shield makes no sense.

The problem is not so much hardware but how to handle file systems on SD flash. This is what I am working on.

There are at least two type of apps that one can optimize. One is data logging where latency is the problem so you don't lose data. The other is where the average rate is important. These require different approaches.

What are you trying to accomplish? What is your application?

Thank you for that you brought up some points that I haven't considered. Some of my current goals that I wish to accomplish some now some maybe later once I learn more include:
high sample rate audio playback and recording.
Right now I can playback 24khz 8-bit mono using pwm using a high sample rate just ends up playing to slow for example 44khz plays almost twice as slow.
Time-lapse using a camera and saving a raw image. using something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=ov7670+module&_sacat=0&_odkw=ov7670+module&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313
see the one with lens for less than 9 dollars
And if it is relay just software then I would of course reconsider this sdio chip thing I thought that the reason why spi is so much slow than sdio is because sd cards are more designed for the sdio interface and spi was just more of an add-on but I may be wrong.

I think I may hear laughter in the distance

That would be me, I'm a long way away.

he was joking with me

Yep.

So is SDIO 4 or 8 pin data?

Rob

Mr_arduino,

I was hopping this topic would be about the future. What you want to do was done years ago with AVR Arduinos.

Hope Graynomad contains his laugher and I am sure he will. He is a gentleman.

Just buy an Adafruit Wave Shield and use my old WaveHC library or WaveRP library. WaveHC can play 16-bit 44.2 ksps files. The DAC on the shield is only 12-bit for cost reasons but Ladyada did a great job for the low price and the sound is good.

WaveRP can record 8-bit 44.2 ksps audio using the AVR ADC.

My binaryLogger sketch can record 8-bit data at 90 ksps and 16-bit data at 45 ksps using Microchip ADC chips.

My SdFatRawWrite sketch can write to an SD at about 500 KB/sec. This uses 100% CPU but at 250 KB/sec you have 50% cpu to generate data. This should do for your image data.

That would work fast enough to save an image I do not own the camera module yet as I am still learning alot and will save that for latter and it appears you are getting more out of your library than I am maybe it is the way I am reading the data maybe instead of just doing

OCR2B = myfile.read();

I should have 2 buffers and I could play buffer 1 while playing buffer 2.

Is this for real? This won't give you any performance.

OCR2B = myfile.read();

I am trying to understand. Are you a young student trying to learn electronics?

I am not a young student but I am a beginner to electronics and programming and I did come up with a solution by using 2 512 byte buffers and I can play buffer one while loading data into buffer 2.

I did come up with a solution by using 2 512 byte buffers and I can play buffer one while loading data into buffer 2.

Sorry that idea is from the 1960s and I was there. Actually we used circular buffers which is a better idea. If you want to be more than a dabbler go to school.

You need to learn about the internals of SD cards and how that relates to file systems. That's how you get performance.

Fyi - SDIO and SPI pinout (from pinouts.ru) I-input, O-output, PP-push-pull, OD-open drain, S-power

sdcardpinout.jpg

That's the full SD pinout and I'm using microSD.

Is SDIO not compatible with microSD then?

Rob

Of course microSD does support SDIO. The microSD omits pin 3 (VSS). So as the above pinout:
1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 (contacs side view 9 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 then).

OK from that it seems that the following is the pin mapping for the two using the microSD pinout I've got from several sources.

microSD SDIO
1 DAT2 DAT3
2 DAT3 CMD
3 CMD GND1
4 VCC VCC
5 CLK CLK
6 GND GND2
7 DAT0 DAT0
8 DAT1 DAT1
9 DAT2

So while very similar they are not physically compatible which I find unbelievable if true.

EDIT: It looks like SDIO is not compatible with microSD, from the "Simplified SDIO Card Spec"

The SDIO definition encompasses different form factors:
• Full-Size SDIO — compatible with host sockets designed for SD memory cards
• miniSDIO — compatible with host sockets designed for miniSD memory cards

No mention of microSD.

MicroSD cards are SDIO devices.

That's what the adapter you get with a MicroSD shows. It connects the correct MicroSD pins to the SD connector and a PC/Mac used the SDIO to access it.

MicroSD cards are SDIO devices.

Sorry but I'm being a bit thick with this then.

In the spec I see no mention of microSD, just mini and full-size.

The pinouts in my last post are not compatible and I can't find an SDIO pinout that's microSD compatible anywhere.

I cannot use an adaptor because microSD is already the smallest.

What am I missing here?

Or are you saying that my above 8-pin microSD pinout is also an 8-pin SDIO pinout, all the other stuff is just for adapting microSD cards to larger sockets etc and for my processor board is of no concern to me.

Rob