Trying to use Arduino Uno R3 as ISP for ATTiny2313

Thanks for your answers.

Nick, I had a look at your solution, it looks interesting but might be a bit too much for what I'm trying to do.

Thanks for the tip about the verbose output, Erni. Since I was able to install Tiny-core now, I'll give it a try. Maybe I tried the wrong avrdude command.

Ok, so I rechecked the wiring and did everything according to Programming Attiny2313 with Arduino Uno.
I uploaded ArduinoISP and checked with an LED on pin 9. Then I unplugged the Arduino Board, connected the capacitor from Ground to Reset, plugged it in again, chose ATtiny2313@1MHz in the Board menu and tried to upload the Blink sketch. This is what I got:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0xe0

I unplugged and replugged the Arduino again and tried the same with ATtiny@8Mhz: Same error.

This is all with AVR ISP chosen as programmer. When I try this with Arduino as ISP, I get a lot more avrdude: Send and avrdude: Recv messages but it ends with
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

How did you disable auto-reset on your Uno?

When I try this with Arduino as ISP

That is the correct option.
I have updated the tutorial in Programming Attiny2313 with Arduino Uno

Thanks for the update, I will try this when I get home this evening.

@Coding Badly: I thought this was done with the 10 µF capacitor from reset to ground as it was mentioned in Ernis tutorial and also at http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP. Do I also need a 120 Ohm resistor between 5V and Reset?

When I have used my Arduino as ISP I used a 120 ohm resistor and no capacitor. Programmed ATMega328s and ATtiny2313s.

I was developing an ATTiny2313 based Stepper Driver - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,84809.15.html - if you look at reply 25 there is a picture of the board I made for programming 328s and 2313s. I put the resistor as part of the connector that plugs into the Arduino. I made a cable that goes to a 6 oin ISP plug that is done in a similar fashion.

As is always the rule when having problems - double check your wiring yet again.

gringle:
@Coding Badly: I thought this was done with the 10 µF capacitor from reset to ground as it was mentioned in Ernis tutorial and also at http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP.

It is.

Do I also need a 120 Ohm resistor between 5V and Reset?

That is very very unlikely.

Try this version of the ArduinoISP sketch...

Still the same result, I uploaded the different ArduinoISP sketch, unplugged the board, put the capacitor in, selected ATtiny2313@1Mhz and Ardunino as ISP and then clicked Upload with programmer.

programmer is not responding.

The suggestion was meant to overcome this...

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0xe0

I suggest posting verbose output from avrdude. Please use
</mark> <mark>[code]</mark> <mark>

</mark> <mark>[/code]</mark> <mark>
tags.

Oh, sorry, the "not in sync" error was due to the "AVR ISP" I had set as programmer. When I switched it to "Arduino as ISP" I only get the "programmer not responding" error. Here is the avrdude output:

avrdude: Version 5.11, compiled on Sep  2 2011 at 18:52:52
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/Users/gringle/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port                    : /dev/tty.usbmodem1d11
         Using Programmer              : stk500v1
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 19200
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20] 
avrdude: Recv: . [14] 
avrdude: Recv: . [10] 
         AVR Part                      : ATtiny2313
         Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD4
         BS2                           : PD6
         RESET disposition             : possible i/o
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65     6     4    0 no        128    4      0  4000  4500 0xff 0xff
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           flash         65     6    32    0 yes      2048   32     64  4500  4500 0xff 0xff
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          2    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : STK500
         Description     : Atmel STK500 Version 1.x firmware
avrdude: Send: A [41] . [80]   [20] 
avrdude: Recv: . [02] 
avrdude: Send: A [41] . [81]   [20] 
avrdude: Recv: . [01] 
avrdude: Send: A [41] . [82]   [20] 
avrdude: Recv: . [12] 
avrdude: Send: A [41] . [98]   [20] 
avrdude: Recv: . [00] 
         Hardware Version: 2
         Firmware Version: 1.18
         Topcard         : Unknown
avrdude: Send: A [41] . [84]   [20] 
avrdude: Send: A [41] . [85]   [20] 
avrdude: Send: A [41] . [86]   [20] 
avrdude: Send: A [41] . [87]   [20] 
avrdude: Send: A [41] . [89]   [20] 
         Vtarget         : 0.0 V
         Varef           : 0.0 V
         Oscillator      : Off
         SCK period      : 0.1 us

avrdude: Send: A [41] . [81]   [20] 
avrdude: Recv: . [01] 
avrdude: Send: A [41] . [82]   [20] 
avrdude: Recv: . [12] 
avrdude: Send: B [42] # [23] . [00] . [00] . [01] . [01] . [01] . [01] . [03] . [ff] . [ff] . [ff] . [ff] . [00]   [20] . [00] . [80] . [00] . [00] . [08] . [00]   [20] 
avrdude: Send: E [45] . [05] . [04] . [d4] . [d6] . [01]   [20] 
avrdude: Send: P [50]   [20] 
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

Your wiring is wrong. Very likely a short-circuit brought about when the programmer (your Uno) attempts to enable programming mode on the target (the ATtiny2313).

I suggest you put 220 ohm (or higher) series resistors on the SPI and RESET connections between the programmer and the target before you damage one or both sides.

Hm, thanks, but re-re-re-checked and checked again when you said it is wrong, I have no idea what might be wrong. It is wired excactly like it is described in the tutorial and I double checked with the picture also, just to be sure. The ATtiny2313 is not upside down. I don't know what to do different.
I guess the resistors would only prevent damage but not solve my problem, right?

gringle:
I guess the resistors would only prevent damage but not solve my problem, right?

Right.

I don't know what to do different.

Post a picture. Ensure everything is well lit. Move the camera away and zoom to frame. Try to make it about 800 x 600.

Here it is, thanks for having a look. I kind of hope to be embarrassed by you spotting the error right away.

Perfect picture. Very nicely done.

Huh. Wiring looks fine to me.

Post the verbose output from avrdude with the target removed. (I think it will fail with a timeout.)

I will do that this evening. I'm not sure what you mean by "target removed", though. Just without the ATtiny2313?

Another thing to try is moving the chip to another spot on the breadboard or another breadboard.
If have experienced bad contacts on one mine, althoug not shortycuts.

I was finally able to upload the Blink sketch to the ATtiny2313! I tried Ernis suggestion and moved it to a different breadboard and it worked right away. I feel kind of stupid for not thinking of trying that on my own.
Thanks so much for your help, guys.