Accidental capacitor discharge on Arduino

Hi I stated recently with arduino.
I have a UNO rev3.
Today I discharged a 100uF capacitor between ground and A1.

Is all lost or can I only replace the ATMEGA328P-PU micro controller.
And can it be replaced by any ATMEGA328P-PU or do I need one that is prepared beforehand?

DawidJordaan:
Hi I stated recently with arduino.
I have a UNO rev3.
Today I discharged a 100uF capacitor between ground and A1.

Is all lost or can I only replace the ATMEGA328P-PU micro controller.
And can it be replaced by any ATMEGA328P-PU or do I need one that is prepared beforehand?

Most likely a replacement 328P will fix the problem, but there is no guarantee of that. Unless you own a AVR hardware programmer or another arduino board to facilitate burning a bootloader into a blank chip, you are better off buying one pre-installed with the Uno bootloader. Several vendors offer such.

Lefty

Ok thank you.

When you are talking about "another arduino board", is this now a separate board other than the one I discharged the capacitor on?
Can this other arduino also be a UNO rev3?
And when I have this other arduino board is the burning of the bootloader done by the areduino software?

Dawid

And when I have this other arduino board is the burning of the bootloader done by the areduino software?

[u]Here are the instructions[/u] for using the Arduino as a programmer. (I have not tried it.)

DawidJordaan:
When you are talking about "another arduino board", is this now a separate board other than the one I discharged the capacitor on?

Yes, if you don't get a chip with a bootloader already on it.

DawidJordaan:
Can this other arduino also be a UNO rev3?

Yes it can.

DawidJordaan:

There are a number of ways of doing it. I describe one here:

You just need a second board, 6 hook-up wires, and you load the "programming" sketch onto the second (good) board.

You could always pick up one of these and use it to reprogram your replacement chip. Now you've got two boards!
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/MEGA-2560-R3-ATmega2560-AVR-USB-board-USB-cable-ATMEGA2560-ATMEGA8U2-Arduino-compatible-funduino-2560/724400409.html