Oddball Items, for Giggles

Not only is it time to start another 'My latest purchase' thread, here's a new one.

Oddball (usually antique) interesting items. Here's one that I thought would be good to get rolling:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-Of-8-Vintage-Wooden-Fuses-Automatic-Electric-Type-17-3-Amp-F-/251100532770?pt=BI_Electrical_Equipment_Tools&hash=item3a76c21022#ht_500wt_949

Wooden Fuses. LoL.....

Just bought a Samsung 60" 240Hz refresh LCD TV. Wife says the picture is fantastic - haven't been home yet to see it myself. Looked good in the store.

focalist:
Wooden Fuses. LoL.....

Err ... well ... the performance of those would be dependent on humidity, I guess. Sure, you can use lacquer or varnish, but that's not a perfect moisture barrier. So, they'd be of the slow-blow variety? You'd get an olfactory warning before one of them blew, which is, I suppose, a feature.

I haven't bought anything for electronics lately. Too many things breaking that I need to replace or fix. I'm going to the hamfest in Monument Saturday, probably. No, I'm not a ham, just interested, and maybe I'll find a cheap GMRS radio to replace one of a pair I have that is broken.

So, do wooden fuses "blow" when your barbecue gets too hot?

Grrr, TVs only have 1 component input connection.
Had to get upgrade the 10 yr old DVD player; joined the bluray bandwagon. $99 at Target for a Visio 3D player.
Watched "The Wrath of the Titans" in 3D, got a pounding headache now.
Connections are much simpler anyway. HDMI from components (blu ray & High Def Over the Air Tuner/DVR) to TV, fiber out to surround sound system.
Got a whole pile of extra RCA-jack cables now.

However many input connections TVs have these days, it usually isn't enough. :slight_smile:

Wooden Fuses - all I can think is that if one fails slowly enough it would carbonize the interior and provide a high resitance path for current to continue to flow. The fuse is blown but boy does that circuit pack a whallop...

You could use a device with wooden fuses to flip your burgers once the grill is hot enough. Maybe string would be better.

I'd assume the wood part is just a hollow cylinder with a wire fuse running down the middle.

Chagrin:
I'd assume the wood part is just a hollow cylinder with a wire fuse running down the middle.

Just spoil all our fun, eh? :stuck_out_tongue:

When I saw the subject I wondered "who is Giggles?"

BEEFCAKE

part of my light bulb load simulator at work, a 400 watt 5 ohm resistor at least the size of a bible

"at least the size of a bible"
Why not just use 4 100W bulbs in lamps, and brighten up the work space while you're at it 8)

Use 4 x 100W globes to simulate 4 x 100W globes?

It wouldn't be a simulator then would it? :wink:

"at least the size of a bible"
Why not just use 4 100W bulbs in lamps, and brighten up the work space while you're at it 8)

I have 2700 measurements to take, you want to watch that blink all day for darn near a month?

Use 4 x 100W globes to simulate 4 x 100W globes?

its in a automotive application so its low wattage 12 volt bulbs, which = a small pile of bulbs, and I need consistant readings with 3 decmal places of accuracy which I cant get with a hot wire

see were testing turn signal flashers for the exact threshold of load where they switch to a "fast flash" indicating that a bulb is out, and this is only one part of a fairly elaborate setup to find those points

were going for DOT validation, not shits n giggles ]:smiley:

sorry if I sound short, I had a big post to explain all this but the fourm ate it for me

Just bought a Samsung 60" 240Hz refresh LCD TV.

60" !!! The eyes are finally going then Crossroads ? Thats bigger than my lounge :slight_smile: