Denglish

We all know inglisch and franglais but do you know denglisch? or dutch english?
What do you think this means:

Watch! You pull your plan! I need to road in front the upstroke bridge goes upstairs. If I am to late, I must take the dyke backwards.

Believe me or not but google translate knows ]:smiley:
Does this make any sense to native English speakers?

Have fun
Jantje

That reads almost as well as some of the spam I manage to get to read on here before the mods delete it! :wink:

Does not make sense to me!

CrossRoads:
Does not make sense to me!

And you are active on the dutch forum from time to time.
:smiley:

Google translating this to Dutch still makes my left eyebrow go up.
It does make more sense and i understand what the message is (actually this is more than a single message), but that hardly translates to Dutch.
It is however a nice example that shows how messed up automated translations can end up.
Having said that, i think Google translate still helps a lot, improves over time and generates useful texts that get the message across.

I wouldn't say "active" 8) I just post occasionally when I see an interesting title. Kind of awkward having to translate every post to follow along. I do that in other international sites too.

Auto-translate in a forum browser would be handy!

Intrigued what is it meant to say.

Grumpy_Mike:
Intrigued what is it meant to say.

If you translate into dutch with google and fix the 'intentionally" created space between the word before brug and brug you get a pretty good first and third phrase.

The first time I heard a dutch colleague say "you need to take the dyke" It was hard not to laugh out loud. Later I learned it was correct English as he was referring to the first meaning of dyke as mentioned on wikipedia Dyke - Wikipedia. Since that day I have been making funny phrase with it.

A somewhat better translation would be (i'm not sure how well this will be understood):

See, make your own plans.
I need to leave now before the drawbridge opens.
If i am too late for that, i need to take a detour over the levee.

(levee is a new word to me, learned it from the wiki page jantje referred to)
This was intentionally messed up by using words (synonyms) that normally aren't combined like that in a Dutch sentence.
Still, results like these are not an unlikely yield from translation sites.
That is caused if words are translated without checking the context, and some people (even politicians do this) would actually use such sentences, making total fools of themselves.

I must take the dyke backwards.

In certain circles this phrase might make sense :slight_smile:

Rob

Graynomad:

I must take the dyke backwards.

In certain circles this phrase might make sense :slight_smile:

Rob

But not with dyke meaning any of those things on the Wikipedia page. :wink:

Grumpy_Mike:
But not with dyke meaning any of those things on the Wikipedia page. :wink:

Oooh, not so sure about that.

There are some really funny things on the Internet.

you pull your plan is actually a dutch expression: "trek uw plan" which translates as: you manage it yourself.

Best regards
Jantje

Although I am in the US, I live in an area which was settled by Dutch immigrants, and so has a lot of Dutch culture, even today. We call the earthworks that control the river "dikes" (spelled with an 'i' ), and the county government has a Dike District which manages the dikes. Yes, this actually does make some people squeamish. XD

MAS3:
(levee is a new word to me, learned it from the wiki page jantje referred to)

Note that levee is an American English word probably originating from the French 'eleve' (sorry, no accents) meaning 'raised'. In England, we would use the word "dyke" to describe a barrier that holds back water.