Go Down

Topic: PLX-DAQ version 2 - now with 64 bit support! (and further new features) (Read 47544 times) previous topic - next topic

NetDevil

Hi, I have a problem with the v2.11, I have Windows 10, Excel 2016, when I clic Connect, after a while Excel stops and close.
Hi Alejandro,

could you give me a bit more detail? Are you already sending data from your Arduino to PLX DAQ? Is incoming data shown in the DirectDebug window? Is data being posted to Excel sheet already? And (maybe most important) what baud rate are you using?

simon_126

Hi Simon,

what links aren't working exactly? The one's to the image is working correctly ( http://www.freebie-base.de/Pics/PLX_DAQ_v2.11.png ) as does the link to the "promising example".

Do you mean the underlined words and sentences in the text? Those are no links but just highlighted text to better show the most significant changes in the new version.

Explainations to the new features can most likely be found in the Beginners Guide (see Post here for most recent version in the attachments)

Greetings
I have tried many times to download PLX DAQ v2.11, 16 to be correct. Right at the end, it says file corrupted, couldn't be downloaded and etc. I really need that scroll down function and much more that you implemented to the original one. Please if that is possible reupload install files or upload them on another server. For the time you are the only distributor of it.

NetDevil

I have tried many times to download PLX DAQ v2.11, 16 to be correct. Right at the end, it says file corrupted, couldn't be downloaded and etc. I really need that scroll down function and much more that you implemented to the original one. Please if that is possible reupload install files or upload them on another server. For the time you are the only distributor of it.
Hi Simon,

the download is working fine for me, same for unpacking the zip file.
Nevertheless I uploaded the latest version here as well => http://freebie-base.de/Stuff/PLX-DAQ-v2.11.zip <=
Please post feedback whether it is working or not.
Thanks.

el_supremo

Don't send me technical questions via Private Message.

simon_126

First of all, problem regarding link was my mistake at the office Kerio Control was ignoring download. When I tried download PLX from URLs everything was just perfect.
But second problem may be I am doing wrong can't get cell info from excel.

Serial.println("CELL,GET,B3,");
cell_num=Serial.read();// this command reads the sell value from the specified cell

//now return this namber to EXCELL:
Serial.print("DATA,TIME,");
Serial.print(bla);
bla=random(1,100);
Serial.print(",");
Serial.print(cell_num);
Serial.print(",");

But in excel instead og providing info from B3 cell it just prints in consequent columns GET CELL B3

What I am doing wrong. Really need your help

dummy55555

Hi guys, I need a little help here. I tried the default sketch given and together with the latest PLX-DAQ version 2.11. I noticed that the AUTOSCROLL is not functioning. The excel does not scroll automatically when new data received. I am using Office Excel 2007. Can anyone guide me? Thanks

NetDevil

But second problem may be I am doing wrong can't get cell info from excel.

Code: [Select]

Serial.println("CELL,GET,B3,");
cell_num=Serial.read();// this command reads the sell value from the specified cell

//now return this namber to EXCELL:
Serial.print(bla);
bla=random(1,100);
Serial.print(",");
Serial.print(cell_num);
Serial.print(",");

But in excel instead og providing info from B3 cell it just prints in consequent columns GET CELL B3
Hi Simon,

your code needs some rework.
First of all, make sure to end your commands to PLX DAQ with "println" instead of "print". Plus there is no need to add a final "," at the end of the statement.
And you use the variable "bla" before assigning a random value to it, better to switch it around ;-)

My rework suggestion is:

Serial.println("CELL,GET,B3"); // <= remove ","
cell_num= Serial.readStringUntil(10).toInt(); // <= new read function

bla=random(1,100); // <= switched command
Serial.print(bla); // <= switched command
Serial.print(",");
Serial.println(cell_num); // <= changed to "println"
//Serial.print(","); <<== ignore

NetDevil

Hi guys, I need a little help here. I tried the default sketch given and together with the latest PLX-DAQ version 2.11. I noticed that the AUTOSCROLL is not functioning. The excel does not scroll automatically when new data received. I am using Office Excel 2007. Can anyone guide me? Thanks
Hi dummy,

sorry to say but the scroll function was added in Office 2013. Therefore no scrolling is possible in your version 2007...

I googled the issue and there was a dirty workaround in earlier versions of Excel. If you are familiar with Excel / VBA please try pressing Alt+F11 to open the code editor, search for the AUTOSCROLL part and replace with the following:

'## Check for AUTOSCROLL command and handle
If (InStr(1, UCase(DataVal(x)), "AUTOSCROLL_", vbBinaryCompare) >= 1) Then
    DontPostDataThisIteration = True ' Autoscroll will not be posted to sheet
    If (ActiveSheet.Name = WStoUse.Name) Then
        '## Autoscroll command checks should only be done if the currently active sheet is the sheet where data is pasted to
        '## Autoscroll command was added in Office 2013 (version 15.0) - dont use for earlier versions)
        Dim offset As String
        offset = Trim(Mid(DataVal(x), InStr(1, DataVal(x), "AUTOSCROLL_", vbBinaryCompare) + Len("AUTOSCROLL_"))) 'get value right side of "AUTOSCROLL_"
        If (IsNumeric(offset)) Then
            If ((row - offset) >= 1 And (row - offset) <= ActiveSheet.Rows.Count) Then 'if row - offset is too low (< 0) or too high ( > max row possible) set to row
                Application.Goto Range("A" & Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).row - offset)
            Else
                Application.Goto Range("A1")
            End If
        End If
    End If
End If

I was not able to check the full code, however the workaround should basically work (it does with Excel 2013 on my PC).

Would be great to get some feedback from you

Greetings

dummy55555

Hi NetDevil,

The code works in excel 2007.
THanks alot for your help.  :) 

KTVK

Hi, thanks for the really useful DAQ.

I'm having trouble sampling data every 100 ms (well I'm in fact sampling 4 signals). Is there a limit to that?

I've tried increasing the data rate to 128000 (instead of the default 9600 in the original file I had) thinking that it would do the trick but Excel just crashes. I get a feeling that when it does crash it's because the data is not being written at the specified rate (here 10 Hz).

I'm using a 2013 version of Excel on a Win 7 64 bits system.

GijKieken

Hi Netdevil,
I used to work with version1 and somewhat altered the code to my needs.(Win7,WinVista,WinXp)
Now I downloaded your latest version (Win7 Home 64bits Excel2007), everything works fine.
Had some issue with Cell,Set ,but by reading the posts solved the problem.
Just to let you know, great job you have done.

EvilKnivel

Hello,

using this software as well... I've modified the VBA user interface for my needs and add some extra serial commands but the core of the software isn't modified. It works absolute perfect! Thanks a lot for this great work - really fun to work with! :)

I observe, that every time I push the "connect" button and the program starts to read values that the laptop fan starts to run on really high rpm... noisy.
Never hear the fan when I do even big calculation jobs or something else, which has high CPU charge to capacity.

Unfortunately I didn't check the Task manager jet how resources look like while connected to COM port.

Anyway, did some else observe that as well? Any idea why?

Kind regards

Christoph

(Win10 64bit; 4GB RAM, 3Ghz 4Core CPU, Excel 2016, PLX DAQ v2.11 mod user interface & add. Serial commands)

NetDevil

Hi folks,

sorry for now getting back to you more early ... I am heavy busy at the moment and it does not look like there will be any relief anytime soon ... nevertheless it is a good kind of busy  ;) I just not got the time to care for PLX DAQ at the moment  :smiley-cry:

@dummy55555: good to hear, thanks for the feedback!

@GijKieken: you're welcome  :smiley-red: nice to know Excel 2007 is working as well!

@EvilKnivel: could you maybe upload screenshots of your UI ? I would be interested to see what you optimized. I am not familiar with UI layout, so there might be a lot to improve :-) The CPU fan issue I haven't experienced myself yet - although I am working on a desktop PC most of the time where it is harder for me to notice these kind of things. But Excel with for-loops (even with DoEvent included) produces heavy loads, that's unfortunately normal I guess ... There is one loop to check for new full-read inputs (sentences) and one loop to check the COM port for new bits and bytes and concat them to form new sentences.

@KTVK: there are issues with reading data at higher baud rates then 9600 that's true. I had ideas of optimizing the system and had success on sampling about 100.000 data per second (at over 2.000.000 baud) but never got it working in real PLX DAQ .... 10 samples per second (thus every 100ms) should be possible nevertheless with 9600 baud as well. I think my highest measure was 20 samples a second with 9600 baud. Are you sure your code is good? Could you post it maybe?

Please allow a few days for me to revert to your posts since ... well ... busy.

Sorry once more and have fun with the software :-)

Greetings

GijKieken

Hi NetDevil,

Maybe in the future something you could implement in a new update for then convenience of working.
It would be nice when you swith between Simple Data (the first worksheet) and other Further sheets
(no matter what name you give to them) to automaticaly hide the Form (PLX-DAQ for Excel "Version 2" by Net^Devil).
So in the event of opening an other sheet than the first workSheet, you could set <form.visible = false>

Greetings, Gij Kieken

EvilKnivel

Picture of my UI is attached but will not help to otimze the "normal" UI.

I will use PLX-DAQ (under developement) for an Arduino based time measurement system (already exist but w/o data logging) we use for RC race plane competitions.

We can directly see on the UI the laptimes per pilot (three race against each other) as well as offense per lap etc... So it's very unique. Sorry.

Tonight I will check CPU usage etc before and while logging... lets see ;)

Go Up