Unable to upload to Arduino Ethernet

I just received 2 Arduino Ethernet boards and non of then seems to function correctly. I'm using FTDI cables from Sparkfun, IDE ver 0022 and running on Win7 64bit (and 32bit). When I try to upload a sketch I always receive the following error:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

Yes, i have updated the Boards.txt file with setup for the "Arduino Ethernet" board and it is selected before upload. If I start the Serial monitor and push reset on the Arduino board i receive "Reset done." so I guess the FTDI cable works correctly.

I have tested on several computers with the same result. I have tested to push reset just before (and after) starting download.

Is it any way to check that the correct bootloader is loaded in to the board? Or is it any error in the Boards.txt setup?

this is the setup I use:
##############################################################
uno.name=Arduino Ethernet (with USB2Serial module)
uno.upload.protocol=stk500
uno.upload.maximum_size=32256
uno.upload.speed=115200
uno.bootloader.low_fuses=0xff
uno.bootloader.high_fuses=0xde
uno.bootloader.extended_fuses=0x05
uno.bootloader.path=optiboot
uno.bootloader.file=optiboot_atmega328.hex
uno.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F
uno.bootloader.lock_bits=0x0F
uno.build.mcu=atmega328p
uno.build.f_cpu=16000000L
uno.build.core=arduino
##############################################################

Any suggestions?

Do you have the FTDI cable connected the right way around?

Guess so. Black wire to the BLK marking on the board. The On and L9 LED are lit and as I wrote, I receive an "Reset done." message in the Serial Monitor a few seconds after pushing the reset button

I got the same error

IDE 022

Windows XP 32b

boards.txt changed

When i make reset, i can see into console: reset done.

Jorge Montero

Spain

Hello,

I reprogramed the bootloader, i select the same bootloader like a duemilanove with at328, when i select the board in IDE i put duemilanove and com port of FTDI 5V cable, all work ok.

Factory bootloader error? boards.txt error?

Please, gurus of arduino, help!!!!!!!

What bootloader file did you use?

Hello,

I don´t know exactly.

I connect an usb tiny avr programer, select arduino board Duemilanove with at328 and burn it.

Now if i used it like a Duemilanove, it work, included ethernet.

If i look into hardware folder of IDE i can see a lot of bootloaders, i tried to find a list of Arduino boards <-> Bootloaders used, but i can´t find it.

I hope it help you, if i get more info, i put it here.

I tested the same but uploaded the bootloader with a avride mkII programmer and now the board is totaly bricked.... :frowning:

Even if the upload software (Arduino IDE) says "Done burning bootloader"

The power led and the L9 led are lit but its the only visibly sign of anything. Nothing happends wen pushing the reset button and no message in the serial monitor. A strange thing is that the ethernet chip get quite hot after 30 sec or so. ??? I think i need to return both boards to the store, mayby it was some hardware error right from the beginning.

hello,

It is true, the ethernet chip get hot very fast.

i believe this board need a revision of design.

i don't know how is your programer, but i think if you get an ok and L9 go up, now the problem is comunication pc <-> arduino, are you tried with the last drivers from FTDI.

Yes, I have the latest FTDI driver (2.8.14)

until I know, when the IDE want upload a skecht to board, the first it do is reset the board.

When you try upload something you can see the led l9 go off and go on?

did you try to make a reset just in the moment when the upload begin?

Are you try to burn other bootloader?

Seems there are a few people with the same issue on this board, me being one of them.

There are a few threads, this being one example: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,67777.0.html

(i'm reposting this from a different thread for semplicity)

Just a quick update of our current tests..

We have been testing a large number of boards with a 5v ftdi cable..
In a set of 40 boards 5 had issues with the cable...
It's a timing issue between the bootloader and the cable.
I guess that the timing issues are within close reach of the tolerances that any circuit has therefore only some boards have that problem.

Those boards work ok with the USB2Serial module that we manufacture.

We are now testing an updated bootloader that seem to solve all the timing issues.
We'll port an official solution on the blog after we have determined that the bootloader solves the issues.

thanks for your patience

m

Many thanks for your reply.

Is there a time scale for this solution.

I have had the board almost a month now with one RTM already and still no joy in getting it working.

Will the updated Bootloader be something that I can install or will it be another RTM ?

Thanks again for your efforts.

Many thanks Massimo - I've hit exactly the same problem using the FTDI Cable with Arduino Ethernet (but this time from SuSE linux), so would really appreciate the fix!

• Andy.

Hallo Massimo

I use a UartBee V3.1 by Aiber.Miao (www.speeedstudio.com) which works great for other Arduinos with the ArduinoBoardEthernet modulle. But I also can only receive the "Reset done." reponse in the serial-monitor. Sending sketches to the board type "Arduino Ethernet (USB..)" always do fail too. Please put me on the mailing list in case you find a solution for this issue.

Can you exactly specify which USB module works to download sketches by the Arduino v22?

Many thanks

http://scuola.arduino.cc/en/content/upgrade-arduino-ethernet-bootloader-latest-version

I have a 'very-recently purchased' Arduino ethernet with the usb2serial adapter.
It works flawlessly with Arduino 022 but I encounter programming problems, the usual 'avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00', if I try Arduino 1.0beta4 or RC, I've tried to reset the Arduino before programming without success.

thanks,
Paolo.

ppennisi66:
I have a 'very-recently purchased' Arduino ethernet with the usb2serial adapter.
It works flawlessly with Arduino 022 but I encounter programming problems, the usual 'avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00', if I try Arduino 1.0beta4 or RC, I've tried to reset the Arduino before programming without success.

thanks,
Paolo.

I found the solution browsing thru the forum... in the boards.txt, the programming protocol has to be changed from stk500 to arduino.

after that Arduino 1.0 manages to program my Ethernet board as 022 always did.

ciao,
Paolo.

It's a wild guess, but maybe helpful.

Currently (V 0022) the Arduino IDE resets the board, then starts avrdude to upload. When the time delay is too large it fails. This is especially true if the bootloader has a short timeout period.

With version 1.0 the IDE comes with avrdude 5.11, which supports the 'arduino' programmer type and resets the board on its own. A time delay before starting avrdude won't matter.

OpenSUSE users that have problems with V0022 now (11.4/tumbleweed/factory) can download avrdude 5.11 on the opensuse website! It will be installed to '/usr/bin/avrdude' and '/etc/avrdude.conf'.

a) Use these new versions to replace the arduino-ized versions in the arduino folder.
b) change 'boards.txt' to use 'XXX.upload.protocol=arduino' instead of 'XXX.upload.protocol=stk500'

Now the current 0022 IDE still resets the board and starts avrdude, BUT avrdude will reset the board again and start the upload. The time delay between the IDE and avrdude invocation is irrelevant.

Please test :wink: