Extend Flash Memory

Hello. I'm new to this forum, and to this Arduino World.

I'm really happy with my Arduino Nano with Atmega 328

But, what I first notice is that the 32Kb I have available for the code, isn't good at all. I can't believe that been in the 21 Century we don't have like 1 Gb available (dunno why this limitation)

My question is. Is there anyway to increase the memory for the code? I know Arduino can read SD Cards, is it possible to put the code in the SD card and run the code from there? or a PenDrive, I dunno...

Same question but for the SRAM and EEPROM both looks like with a big code (or not so big really) both of them will collapse.

Thanks a lot, hope you can clarify my panorama.

American2020:
Hello. I'm new to this forum, and to this Arduino World.

I'm really happy with my Arduino Nano with Atmega 328

But, what I first notice is that the 32Kb I have available for the code, isn't good at all. I can't believe that been in the 21 Century we don't have like 1 Gb available (dunno why this limitation)

Cost. If you want more, you buy a bigger, more expensive chip. If you don't, you buy a cheaper chip with less.

My question is. Is there anyway to increase the memory for the code? I know Arduino can read SD Cards, is it possible to put the code in the SD card and run the code from there? or a PenDrive, I dunno...

No.

Same question but for the SRAM and EEPROM both looks like with a big code (or not so big really) both of them will collapse.

Thanks a lot, hope you can clarify my panorama.

You can add EEPROM and SRAM as SPI or I²C peripherals - but you can't use the SRAM as if it were internal memory, but you have to manually reference addresses within it.

Thanks Majenko.

Is the bigger one the Arduino Mega with only 256 Kb? Or is something bigger out there?

Anyway 256 I think would be much better than the 32Kb on the Nano, so it would be a good alternative and give us much more options when coding.

Anyway, in an era where everything is on Gb I don't understand why we are counting with Kb :roll_eyes:

Thanks again Majenko :slight_smile:

American2020:
Thanks Majenko.

Is the bigger one the Arduino Mega with only 256 Kb? Or is something bigger out there?

Anyway 256 I think would be much better than the 32Kb on the Nano, so it would be a good alternative and give us much more options when coding.

Anyway, in an era where everything is on Gb I don't understand why we are counting with Kb :roll_eyes:

Thanks again Majenko :slight_smile:

Yes, the mega2560 has 256kB of flash. The DUE has 512kB.

Your computer may count in gigabytes, but an Arduino isn't a computer. It's a microcontroller. It does a different job. When people need a computer, they use a computer. When they only need something small that will do a small job, they don't use a computer - they use a microcontroller. It is small, it has small resources, and it has a small price tag.

If you want bigger, you buy bigger. You don't use a sledgehammer to crack a nut just because sledgehammers are the biggest things around. You use the tool that is right for the job. Similarly, you don't use a ball peen hammer to demolish a building.

:smiley:

Lol that's true :slight_smile:

My next step for sure then, it will be the Mega or the Due. With a friend we are going to turn an Arduino to be the "brain" of a Pinball :stuck_out_tongue:

Hopefully we will get it working as we want.