'Blink' doesn't work?

Hey so I uploaded blink to the Arduino UNO successfully and the on board LED is blinking, but my LED on the breadboard is just shining and not blinking.

What am I doing wrong?

Wiring it incorrectly.

Show your wiring - if the on-board led is blinking, the software is working fine, so it's a wiring problem.

The blink example only blinks the onboard LED. If you are expecting another LED to blink as well you must have modified the code.
Show your code (in code tags) and your wiring.

Pete

I assume you have a resistor of between 220 and 1k Ohm's in series with an LED from output 13 to Gnd?

If not, what have you got?

If so turn the LED around.

Or you have wired it incorrectly.

Weedpharma

change the pin from 13 to the one you are connected to.

from a purely scientific viewpoint, it is working exactly as you have it set.

it seems that it is not working the way you want.

as you might be aware, they can be worlds apart.

Hi,

el_supremo:
The blink example only blinks the onboard LED. If you are expecting another LED to blink as well you must have modified the code.
Show your code (in code tags) and your wiring.

Pete

The LED on board flashes and Pin13 is output as well, without changing software.
Tom... :slight_smile:

Oh, duh! ooops.
Thanks Tom.

Pete

Whoops I'm sorry I fell asleep :o

Here's my wiring:

The LED 13 on the Arduino is blinking, but on the Breadboard it just stays static. Have I fried something? I had a short circuit with another project before that

MFDOOM:
The LED 13 on the Arduino is blinking, but on the Breadboard it just stays static.

That's because you wired it straight across the 5V supply and ground. That LED will stay on no matter what sketch you have running...

wait. I'm stupid. above it was doing what it supposed to. I have now connected it to PIN 9 and GND and the LED isn't shining at all anymore

Hi,
How about connecting your LED and resistor to the pin that is blinking.
You have the LED connected to 5V and gnd from what I can see, it will stay ON because they are the power supply pins.

You need to connect the LED and resistor to pin 13 and gnd.
The blink sketch outputs to the LED and pin13.

Tom.... :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
Hi,
How about connecting your LED and resistor to the pin that is blinking.
You have the LED connected to 5V and gnd from what I can see, it will stay ON because they are the power supply pins.

You need to connect the LED and resistor to pin 13 and gnd.
The blink sketch outputs to the LED and pin13.

Tom.... :slight_smile:

Okay now I feel like a ... (am I allowed to curse on here?) I did Blink like a few months back and thought I still had it in my head and obviously something must be wrong with the Arduino... Thanks A LOT for the help and sorry for wasting everybody's time

MFDOOM:
Thanks A LOT for the help and sorry for wasting everybody's time

Well I must say it gave me a Friday morning chuckle at your expense :slight_smile:

MFDOOM:
Okay now I feel like a ... Thanks A LOT for the help and sorry for wasting everybody's time

As a noob you may be interested in my YouTube videos aimed at newcomers to the Arduino world (or Arduinites as I like to call you / us).

You can find all my videos (and new ones weekly-ish) in the URL in my signature of this post.

MFDOOM:
wait. I'm stupid. above it was doing what it supposed to. I have now connected it to PIN 9 and GND and the LED isn't shining at all anymore

Did you change the sketch to blink pin 9 instead of pin 13?

That means in the pinMode() command in setup() as well as the HIGH and LOW digitalWrites in loop().

Ralph_S_Bacon:
...newcomers to the Arduino world (or Arduinites as I like to call you.

Wouldn't those be Arduineos ? :smiley:

Those who explore what can be done would be Arduinauts.

GoForSmoke:
Those who explore what can be done would be Arduinauts.

I loved that claymation movie Jason and the Arduinauts.....
those skeletons scared the bejeebers out of me when I was young, they were SO real !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF_Fi7x93PY