Equipping a cheap LCD or TFT with composite input. Is it possible?

While you might be able to provide a composite driver for such a LCD, but it is simpler to get one of the monitors made for car backup systems that can be powered by a 12v battery.

Yeah, for some odd reason composite drivers are ridiculously expensive. I was hoping to avoid 12V displays because of the big batteries needed to power them, but that's worth a look anyway!

Adafruit sells several small monitors (1.5", 2", 2.5") that take composite input: NTSC/PAL (Television) TFT Display - 1.5 Diagonal : ID 910 : $39.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits.

That's exactly what i was looking for, thanks a lot! Costs a little bit more than I hoped for but it's still fine. I'll just have to deal with it, since it's supposed to be mounted into a custom case and circuit and it will stay there.

I will say from personal experience be careful how you wire it up, as I reduced mine to expensive paper weight when I plugged ground into the hot wire, and vice versa.

I'M glad I'm not the only one making paper weights...

Reminds me of the day when I accidently killed my first Arduino by mixing up the 5V and 12V lines. That was a sad, sad day... Somehow I believe that's the absolutely most common way of frying an Arduino :roll_eyes:.