3D gun printing good or bad

liudr:
Reminder again: I find the spirit of the OP to be NOT specifically trying to do a pro/anti gun control thread, just the 3D printing of gun parts. We know what happens when they start blasting their truths against each other. These people are mostly within the Americas or more specifically within the USA. There is debate over this issue everywhere in the USA already FYI. These people turn any regular threads into gun threads :slight_smile:

Back to OP, I think if we purchase a 3-D machine, we should control what we do with the machine especially it is at home. If you have children, let them log what they do with the machine, just like any responsible machine shop supervisor, with a notebook, and often check on them. Note to yourself: you just bought a pile of liability (parts, repairs, supplies and dangerous objects). For those that really want guns, hope your region allow gun purchases. Just go and buy a quality metal gun and don't print a plastic part that could blow up in your faces. If you CAN do 3-D printing, you are a potential asset of the society and may hold an engineering job and pay the system back somewhat. Don't give it all away with one blind eye and a few missing fingers for what we give you.

Pretty much this. The ability to 3D print weapons and weapon parts shows that the technology is improving. It's an interesting experiment that sparks some good discussion on the future and possible regulation of 3D printing. It wont end the world, and its not the savior of the people.

I disagree with the "blowing up in your face" part. If someone's dumb enough to try it, let them. Maybe it blows up in their face, or maybe their new gas piston system reduces overheating and weapon malfunctions by 30% and they become the next Samuel Colt.