GPS video text overlay

I am looking to build a very small GPS video overlay unit to be used on my motorcycle helmet or back pack. I am pretty new to using the Arduino but I think I am picking up the concepts and just keep coming up with new ideas.
So far I was planning on using an Arduino Nano or maybe an Ardweeny in conjunction with a GPS receiver and a Breakout Board for MAX7456 On Screen Display from Sparkfun to have GPS data (Lat/Long, speed and bearing) overlaid on a video signal. I am pretty confident that I can put the components together, but actually making them work will be the challenge. I know of a company that already makes a system that does everything I am asking, but what fun is it if I can't actually build one myself.

Things I would like to be able to do.

1. Put everything in one small project enclosure (GPS, microprocessor, and video overlay). The cameras, quad processor and DVR will be separate with a separate power supply that will be charged off the bike power.
  2. I want to be able to see the Lat/Long, speed and bearing on the screen and adjust their location on the screen as needed.
  3. I would like to use a data logging module (SD Card)to record the actual GPS track to be used in an overlay on Google Earth. I would hope to be able to create a .klm file out of the data.

After looking at the Breakout Board for MAX7456 On Screen Display, I was not able to tell how you program the text input, I would think this is through code loaded to the Arduino. I am assuming that in some fashion the Arduino will take the GPS NMEA signal and push it to the the on screen display though the serial adapter.

Thanks for any advice, I still have some internet shopping to do before I try to put this project together.

You don't say what breakout board you're using, I'm going to assume You are using the Sparkfun one (SparkFun On Screen Display Breakout - MAX7456 - BOB-09168 - SparkFun Electronics).

I'm going to take a step back here and ask what other projects have you done with your Arduino? Have you done any that involve other devices with an SPI interface?
You use SPI to tell the chip what to display. If you don't understand SPI you should read up on it before going any further.

Have you looked at the sample code provided (basing the next part on Sparkfun's code)?
Have you looked at the data sheet for the MAX7456 (The part you're interested starts on page 17)?
Any of that make any sense? (Hint: What does DMAH/DMAL in the comments mean).

So we know the sample code says the word SAMPLE, find where in the code we tell the chip to display an S.

What in the world are the quad processor and DVR for?

Maybe you can take A look at nootropic to ?
They have made A nice shield with A sync seperator IC that is easy to handle in your own design (no smd):

The quality of the video signal is not that good as the sparkfun one, but it can be enough for simple text om video overlay.
I used this chip for an other project of mine:
http://www.pe1br.nl/arduinoosd.php

Thanks for the info on the Nootropic over lay, your project with the Labyrinth is pretty interesting. With the code that you provided I have a little better understanding of how to set up the overlay. So to get this straight, you use the TV screen and the button on the side of your project to scroll from one maze to the next and then your call sign and freq? As I am just getting into this, how did you know all the X/Y points on the screen to draw the lines?
What is the difference in video quality between the two different OSDs? It appears they work on the same principles.

I have spent some time trying to find as much info on the MAX7456 video overlay that I can. It is starting to make a little more sense, I will start hitting the tutorials to help myself along.

Two things that I have not been able to find.

1. How do I hook the MAX7456 up to the Arduino? I have not been able to find a picture or an accurate pin out for it.
  2. I have not been able to find a .pde file for the MAX7456. What am I missing from the sample sketch on the Sparkfun website?

You can do this too with the Nootropic shield, just in case you decide to re purpose your parts down the road:)

Extremely long thread on the old forum: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1220054359/all

Arduino library for the MAX7456: http://www.eng.uah.edu/~jdw/avr/MAX7456_lib.tar.gz

Sample sketch to go with that library : http://www.eng.uah.edu/~jdw/avr/MAX7456_lib_test.pde

I don't have a schematic online, but you should be able to derive a pinout from the sketch.

-j

gru491:
you use the TV screen and the button on the side of your project to scroll from one maze to the next and then your call sign and freq?

Yes thats is every time I push the button I get A new screen for 0 to 3

gru491:
As I am just getting into this, how did you know all the X/Y points on the screen to draw the lines?

There was an expample in the tv out lib of A big square al over the screen (4 lines) I used that en made them smaller to see what happend.

gru491:
What is the difference in video quality between the two different OSDs? It appears they work on the same principles.

For what I've seen (I've just ordered som max chip to try) the max is really osd, so it can draw nice smooth letters on the screen.
The quality of the letters is better, more nice and round instead of pixels.

I don't think it will be A problem for your design but for Ham radio I want something to look cool when you transmit is to others.