Go Down

Topic: Speed of an elastic/highly flexible object (i.e rubber band) (Read 72 times) previous topic - next topic

SlothScience

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about how to measure the speed of highly elastic or flexible objects.

I've thought of a few ways to measure speed in general (IR lights/receivers, Ultrasonic sensors, etc). These would work great for a solid body like a ball.

However, an rubber band for instance has a lot of "dead space" (such that it is conceivably possible the IR light might not hit it?).

It is also highly flexible (for instance it may be 90° to the ground at one instant but even a few milliseconds later the angle may change, this would possibly highly distort measurements if you hit the leading edge).

A friend makes little rubber band shooting guns and i have always been interested in measuring the speed of the rubber bands coming out of them. Accuracy is not paramount but even a relative sense between different guns would be good.

Any thoughts?

DrDiettrich

A somewhat simple device would use a sensitive target, so that the time between fire and hit can be measured.

mikb55

Use a photodiode with a high pass filter and look for a dip in the received signal as the shadow of the rubber band passes by.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy