Arduino Uno + RN-XV + XBee Shield = Doesn't Work

So, recently I have been trying to use the Roving Networks RN-XV (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10822) and the XBee Shield (SparkFun XBee Shield - WRL-12847 - SparkFun Electronics) and the WiflyHQ library to create an ad-hoc network. The purpose is to use it for telemetry on a quadcopter.

But, This doesn't seem to work. The adhoc network is not created (I can't see it with a macbook). And it takes a while to setup the serial connection to the RN-XV (as seen by it flashing three times after a long delay). This makes me think that there is some type of watchdog timer in wifly.begin() that forces it to return after it retries a few times. Do you have any ideas on how to get it to work? Anyone used this combination before? Example code would be great.

This is my code:

#include <Arduino.h>
    #include <WiFlyHQ.h>

WiFly wifly;

void setup()
    {
        pinMode(13, OUTPUT);   

Serial.begin(9600);
        wifly.begin(&Serial, NULL);
        delay(1000);

wifly.setIpProtocol(WIFLY_PROTOCOL_UDP);
        //Serial.println("Done Setup");

digitalWrite(13, HIGH);   // turn the LED on (HIGH is the voltage level)
        delay(250);               // wait for a second
        digitalWrite(13, LOW);    // turn the LED off by making the voltage LOW

//Serial.println("Attempting to Setup ADHOC Network...");
        wifly.createAdhocNetwork("wifly", 10);

delay(4000);
        delay(250); 
        delay(250); 
        delay(250); 

}
    void loop()
    {
        if (wifly.available() > 0)
        {
            if(wifly.read() == 'b')
            {
               delay(1000);               // wait for a second
               delay(1000);               // wait for a second 
            }
        }
    }

Couple of quick things.

You should try the RN-XV just buy itself without the Arduino. Download the data sheet on it. Supply 3.3V and Ground, and then there is a pin (pin 8? not sure) that you cycle every second 3 times to reset it and put it into ad-hoc mode. You should see the ad-hoc network then (it takes some time for it to appear). Verify the procedure using the data sheet.

Also, I don't know about the XBEE sheild, but I used the Arduino Wireless SD Shield ( http://www.amazon.com/Arduino-Wireless-SD-Shield/dp/B006RATC2E ) and if you are using Software Serial, you need to bend away pins 1 and 2 and runs jumpers from 1 and 2 to whatever TX and RX pins you are using for Software Serial. You also have make make sure the USB/Micro switch is in the right position.