Arduino external power supply Current

Hello all,

I want to power my Arduino UNO/MEGA from my car.
I have seen few converter that offer a (5 Volt and 2.1 A) or (5 Volt and 1 A). Which one should I take?

Looking at the link below:

There is no much about the maximum amount of current the Uno or Mega board support.

Any feed back will be appreciated.

Many Thanks,
Cserge

I'm not sure how reliable this source is, but it seems as though the max draw is 500mA when connected to a USB (and there a thermofuse that will trip above this) and up to 1A when connected externally. Have a look through that link -- it's quite comprehensive.

Hello RickE,

Thank you very much.

So if by mistake I plug my Arduino to a (5Volt and 2.1 A) will it destroy the arduino or just stop it from working?

What is the Arduino maximum tolerance in term of current?

cserge,

The amount of current being drawn is dependent on how much is being demanded by whatever it is your driving. Simply plugging a (5V 2.1A) source into the arduino is fine, provided that you aren't driving, say, a motor which requires 2A (that would damage the arduino). Personally, I'd stick to something that physically can't exceed the maximum current limit of the arduino. Alternatively, use a 9V battery to power the arduino if that's sufficient for your purposes.

I have used a 9 Volt battery before for my application, But it seems that after only 3 hours my battery was not longer working. Now I am trying to power my arduino from my car. I am using a GPS shield and GSM shield boards in my application.

Do you know a good 9 volt battery brand that you can recommend?

How would you know the amount of current your application need?

Thank you.
Cserge

9V batteries are low current and low capacity, you go to sets of AA's for decent capacity.

To power from a car use an in-car USB phone charger - nice stable 5V supply.

Thank you very much. I will give it a try this weekend and let you know