File Association??

I had -0018, -0019, now using -0021 (and have been for a while).
Windows Vista

Older sketches kept opening with -0019 when double clicked.
So I deleted the -0018 & -0019 folders.
Now I can't get the file associations for .pde to be with -0021.
How do I get that set up again?
When I open Windows Explorer, select one, choose Open With, Arduino does not appear in the list, and when I browse to it, I still can't get it to select it! So I have to start Arduino every time and then browse to the folder where the .pde is.

How do I fix this?

Thanks
Robert

Right click on one of your files, choose the OPEN WITH menu option, then the CHOOSE DEFAULT PROGRAM menu option.

You might have to use the BROWSE button to find the directory in which you installed version 21, then find the ARDUINO.EXE file in that directory.

Exactly - and when I do that it acts as if I had selected cancel instead of ok, it drops back to the list of programs and does not open ardiuino-0021.

count me in i downloaded the 021 ide yesterday and am having the same problem >:(

had a similar problem when upgrading from 19->21. I removed the old associations from the registry and then associated the .pde again.

// warning usage of regedit can cause serious damage to windows registry (on the other hand it is sometimes the only way)

Start regedit.exe

Check the following entries: - CTRL-F = find .pde - use F3 to repeat search

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts.pde\OpenWithList

and

Computer\HKEY_USERS\ - some number - \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts.pde\OpenWithList

as -some number- might differ you should use seach.

I removed the entries here so windows "lost" all associations. When opening an .pde file windows will ask for the association, use browse to select Arduino21 and it worked as intended.

YES i had solved it just know and came back to post and i found the post was answered yesterday >:(

Don't be >:( be :slight_smile: as you got the insight yourself :wink:

I was having the same problem with Windows 7. I also found it necessary to remove some other registry entries including "arduino.exe." Sorry, I didn't make note of where the entries were, but I found then easily with a registry search.

EASY FIX TIP: If you don't want to be bothered making registry changes, you can work around the issue by renaming the new arduino.exe to something like arduino22.exe. Then you should be able to re-associate .pde files with the new version by the standard means (Right click file. -> Open with -> Choose default program...).

"clever" windows sees the same program name so doesn't change the association properly!

you can try first setting the association to something else like notepad

then set it to the new arduino.exe

Exactly - and when I do that it acts as if I had selected cancel instead of ok, it drops back to the list of programs and does not open ardiuino-0021.

Same problem over here and 0021 is my first Arduino compiler installed.
Windows 7 Ultimate.

I'm opening sketches from the compiler now.

Don't be be as you got the insight yourself

Missed that post
Yeah good point :slight_smile: but i'm lazy :wink:

mmcp42:

you can try first setting the association to something else like notepad then set it to the new arduino.exe

That was actually one of the first things I tried before searching the boards, it didn't work. I also tried renaming/moving/deleting the original arduino.exe that the .pde files where associated with so that windows would notice that it no longer existed, and would hopefully automatically disassociate it, but *icrosoft's "latest and greatest" operating system failed to release the broken association. Perhaps this problem would have been easier to correct if *icrosoft hadn't remove the file type manager that existed in their earlier OSs.

Hello all. For anybody that still wants this, I think I've got the quickest and most foolproof way to associate .pde files with Windows (at least XP).

1. First, open Windows explorer (i.e. My Documents).
  2. Next, at the top toolbar (File, Edit, etc...) hover over Tools and select Folder Options.
  3. In Folder Options, click the File Types tab and in the box, scroll down to extension pde. Click on it
  4. In the lower half of the window, click the change button.
  5. Then select the version of Arduino you want to be used click ok and close and you're done!

cubemike99, as far as I know you are correct, that is the quickest and most foolproof way for Windows XP. However, if I am not mistaken, that very File Types tab vanished with the release of Vista and 7. Why did *icrosoft remove it? The world may never know! [smiley=huh.gif]