Newbie question on designing your own 'board' instead of using wires

Docedison, why do you feel thermal reliefs are needed on through hole electrolytic caps?

I second DipTrace. I had problems with Eagle. DipTrace works exactly like you think it would. Making components and component footprints is easy. It comes with a tutorial that shows you how to lay out a typical hobbiest board and render it to a PCB. There is even a very convenient if slightly expensive (compared to sending it to China) direct order option, no need for Gerbers at all.

Bear in mind that DipTrace modifies the security settings of the Documents folder. In my opinion, the behaviour borders on that of a virus.

Why does it do that?

db2db:
Why does it do that?

There is no valid reason.

In what way does it do this? Not that I think it affects me (it creates its own Documents folder on a Mac), but it seems rather odd...

Diptrace runs on OSX? I thought it was PC only....

I do like the 3D preview of Diptrace...

Will try to download DT and play with it.

Well, it kind of runs on OS X. It uses Wine and Quartz to run the Windows version inside X on the Mac. It's ugly, but it seems to work (I've only tinkered with it so far). I don't think it supports the 3D mode, though.

I've been playing with DipTrace on and off... so far, I'm liking it's features. Haven't gotten to defining my own part yet.
It seems very powerful and lots of editing options...

It's fugly though on an OSX, and hate seeing the C:\Program Files\blah blah blah directory structure.

vasquo:
I've been playing with DipTrace on and off... so far, I'm liking it's features. Haven't gotten to defining my own part yet.
It seems very powerful and lots of editing options...

It's fugly though on an OSX, and hate seeing the C:\Program Files\blah blah blah directory structure.

I used to do PowerBuilder on Macs and it was the same way, essentially they were just emulating most of it so it had the same structure as the PC version.

I had to do a couple of matricies in the component / pattern editor. It's pretty easy and explained well in the tutorial. This is an Adafruit 0.8" matrix with a pattern on a schematic. Board should be coming tomorrow, hopefully I got everything right. I'm already worried I made the power traces way too thin. The MAX7219s and matricies are bussed out to 6 total pairs.

Component

Pattern

Schematic

PCB

Component.png

Pattern.png

So in the mean time I dumped expresssch because I got the impression that I would get stuck and should go a bit more advanced so I started using Eagle.

I redid the scheme here:

There is a button board I noticed, can I just use this (items won't be in a nice order) or is it better to restart to create a board? Can wires cross, I guess not?

Thanks!

You need to put junctions in your wire/schematic. I don't see any dots anywhere.

I dumped expresssch because I got the impression that I would get stuck

Good for you. Yeah, you want something that can output gerber so you can send the job to whomever you wish, and you're not tied up/hostaged by Express PCB.

Thanks for that, I updated it with juctions. That was a great tip!

You don't need junctions at the IC pins, or component, or input/output terminals. They're understood as already being connected.

But when you have 2 net wires crossing, and they're supposed to be connected, yes, put a junction there.

Run the Schematic ERC (Tools:ERC) to make sure all the pins are connected. Or, wiggle each part a little to make sure wires are connected.
Can also use File:Export:Netlist to make sure all pins in a net are connected.
Really helps to name each signal (right click a signal, and use Name) when routing a board. N$7 is not helpful as a Name!
Also, Edit:Net Classes to define trace widths, clearance around the trace, and via size to use.
You can select the Net Class for a trace in Properties as well.

Are these "wires" and not "nets"? Seems like it since they didn't connect automatically.
You'll want to change that.

On the schematic, you draw wires to connect things and give them a Net name.

On the board, you connect the traces. You can also add wires; they can be given Names also so they will connect to a Net.
Same with Vias (especially Gnd) and Polygons (for Gnd layers).

CrossRoads:
On the schematic, you draw wires to connect things and give them a Net name.

In Eagle you want to use nets, not wires.

On the schematic, they are called Wire.
Draw: Wire.
Right click on a line, select Properties, and it opens a message box with Wire on the top, and Net on the bottom.

I hate to disagree with you, but here's a quote from Jorge at Cadsoft (Eagle) .

"Wires should only be used for artistic purposes, the name LINE would be
more inline with it's function than WIRE but for historical reasons it's
still named WIRE.
Never use WIRE to define connections in the schematic and in most cases
you don't want to use WIRE to define connections on the board.
Jorge Garcia"

more info here:
http://www.element14.com/community/message/38435#38435/l/aw-im-confused-about-adding-nets