Go Down

Topic: Yún retired?  (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

AgroMeInc

So what will replace it?
Will the Yun Shield still exist ? Link is broken from products page.

artisticforge

So what will replace it?
Will the Yun Shield still exist ? Link is broken from products page.
this does not surprise me.
Arduino.cc doe snot have the Eagles files nor a valid schematic for the YUN.
The same is true for the Tian.

Also the latest versions of those boards were running a variant of OpenWRT which is
named Linino.

It is better to "retire" them and start over from scratch then to attempt to reverse engineer these boards.

No one has announced any plans for the future of Arduino.

I would like to see the Arduino Tre resurrected.
It was announced and after that just faded away.

The ups and downs of technology.
><>

TrashCompactor

Wow, this really sucks.

I think this might push me to migrating my projects to Raspberry Pis which will take a lot of work.

DarkSabre

Yeah, rather disappointed in the silent retirement...

The Tre looked fantastic; I'd definitely be happy if that came to fruition.

DarkSabre

I asked the support team if they could shed any light on the matter and they replied:
Thank you for contacting us.
Although these products has been already retired, soon we will release good news regarding the Arduino YUN board.
So...I guess there is something in the works  :smiley-kitty:

artisticforge

I asked the support team if they could shed any light on the matter and they replied:So...I guess there is something in the works  :smiley-kitty:
The rumor that I have seen and heard is that OpenWRT will be updated for the legacy Arduino YUN boards.
it is not clear if that is going to allow those who have the Arduino YUN running Linino to switch completely to OpenWRT.

I have 5 Arduino Yun boards and two Arduino Yun Shields.
3 of the Arduino Yun boards are running OpenWRT
2 of the Arduino Yun boards are running Linino

I do not remember what the two Arduino Yun shields are running.

As I have written before, I would love to see the Arduino Tre brought to fruition.
><>

ltheoret

Hi,

I am eagerly waiting any announcements of new boards. I use these board a lot. the combination of SAMD and OpenWRT work really well for me. I will take any 32bit microcontroller attached to a Linux platform.

Luc

AgroMeInc

What I like most about the Yún approach is the separation between the Linux WiFi layer and the Microcontroller layer. This is what really sets this product appart from the raspberries and friends. It would be nice to have more RAM on the Atheros chip and a full size SD card so you can use full size Industrial SDs that support S.M.A.R.T.

Regarding Linino there were 2 versions. One was really nice up to 1.6.2 IRRC. )the one that came with the Linux Shield) I am referring to YunWebUI built with Luci: https://github.com/arduino/YunWebUI

The later version that came in the latter Yún (with the JavaScript windowing system) was really awful and bloated and made no sense whatsoever. I think this second one is what is actually called Linino which in our humble opinion sucked really bad. I hope the branch off YunWebUI for the new products.

If they don't anything we'll probably build our own board and continue the work on YunWebUI which was really great, and we built a product with that. But we would much rather continue to use Arduino made products and support them.

Go Up