Standalone + FTDI

Hey all, just wanted to show a small project i have completed for myself.
This was done for pure experimentation of a standalone arduino programmed via an FTDI

here are some pics

basic top view

same as above but from FTDI view

the underside

connected via FTDI to a USB-BUB

powered and ready

green LED lit by blink sketch (pin 13)

additional image showing smd led and resistors
top led = power (red)
middle led = tx (blue)
bottom led = rx (blue)

Nice job; clean and basic, and I like the use of SMT parts with thru-hole!

:slight_smile:

thanks!
if you notice in the first picture the resistor for the reset switch is soldered between one of the thru hole legs of the switch and the power rails directly (bottom left)

Wow. That's quite a button :sunglasses:

yep.
there is a shop near me that sells the 12x12 buttons, love em. they also sell those 2 prong mini button

this is awesome! ;D
like the other person said, i love the SMD led!

i am just a curious noob, but why don't you need a crystal at pin 9 & 10? Or that huge capacitor looking thing is the crystal? O.o

i think you are speaking about the ceramic resonator
it does the same job as a crystal + 2 caps. at least i haven run into any issues yet

last night i swapped out the green leds (they where actually dual - orange/green and gave me issues)
and managed to connect the pins 2-13 to the female header

Just wondering.....As i am also a curious noob....Why do you need that long resistor?... (corrected)

I am also trying to build an arduino standalone. And i am having some trouble finding all of the nessacary parts....where did you get yours? (btw....i have no idea how to burn a bootLoader...could i get a preburnt one from the same place you got yours?)

Oh..before i forget.....Was this hard?...i mean..... i dont even need the serial programming....i just need the....bare bones of the arduino....

Why do you need that long capacitor?...

Are you speaking of that 9 pin orange SIP resistor array? If so that is just a more compact was of using multiple resistors, if they are of the same value. Saves space and labor.

Lefty

sooo....if i were making something similar.....would i do the same thing....attach resistors to each dig. Pin?

sooo....if i were making something similar.....would i do the same thing....attach resistors to each dig. Pin?

Only if you wish to drive a LED with the digital output pin. The resistor is to limit the current to a safe level.

Lefty

so....do you think this would be simple to make?...do you have any idea where i could acquire these parts?

Quote:

Only if you wish to drive a LED with the digital output pin. The resistor is to limit the current to a safe level.

Lefty

The resistors are not the output of the digital pins directly, take a look at the original image
there are additional wires going to the female harness without resistors

Slightly off topic question; where did you order the green protoboard? Looks nice ;), better then the typical orange/yellow protoboard.

there is a pretty decent hobby/university electronics supply store near me