Questions about toner transfer paper and etching...

A silly question about toner transfer paper... should it be transferred as fast as possible once printed, or is it OK to print it say hours before actually transferring to the copper? Reason I ask is my laser printer is at work, so am I going to be OK printing the toner at work and waiting until I get home to use it?

Thanks!

There is no reason why it should be transferred immediately.

The only caveat is, don't touch the toner print. Fingers have grease. Grease stops the toner transferring.

Ideally, keep the toner side against another piece of shiny paper to stop fingers getting at it.

Oh, and print off multiple copies.

If you don't, the one copy you have won't transfer right and you'll wish you had another copy.

If you do, then guaranteed, the first attempt will work perfectly :wink:

There's a guy called Murphy (who's a sod) that knows all about that :stuck_out_tongue:

majenko:
Oh, and print off multiple copies.

If you don't, the one copy you have won't transfer right and you'll wish you had another copy.

If you do, then guaranteed, the first attempt will work perfectly :wink:

There's a guy called Murphy (who's a sod) that knows all about that :stuck_out_tongue:

Indeed! I know Murphy well hehe. Since my transfer paper is A4 I will print 2 or 3 on one piece.

I think my first etch will be an LED driver for some high powered LED's, a nice simple project to start with for etching, is there a resource that I could look at that will tell me how much current 1 oz copper clad will handle at certain trace thicknesses?

You might find this useful:

http://circuitcalculator.com/wordpress/2006/01/31/pcb-trace-width-calculator/

Majenko, I whole-heartedly agree with your advice on printing multiple copies... You ALWAYS offer a sacrifice to the fuck-up fairies :smiley: