Lumazoid realtime music visualizer board

I built a small ATmega328-based board for analyzing audio in realtime and creating nice visualizations on WS2812 LED strips like NeoPixel. A lot of people have done similar projects using a computer to do the heavy lifting but the Lumazoid does all the FFT analysis in realtime in Arduino code.

The product details are at nootropicdesign.com/lumazoid and the video really shows what it can do. Hope you like it!

Video link: Lumazoid realtime music visualizer board for NeoPixel or other WS2812 LED strips - YouTube

Awesome! Is it possible to use the firmware on an ordinary Arduino?

The light show the LUMANOID puts in is a continuous work of performance art. Bravo.

When I saw the 328P I decided I should make one.

When I saw you shared the source .INO on Github almost fainted.

I can not wait to load this up and dig into your code.

Thanks

The Lumazoid is such a fantastic addition to my sound system! I've tried two different ways to hold a 60 LED strip. The YouTube link shows the stip inside a 3/4" HDPE arch. Nootropic Lumazoid Visualizer - YouTube There are multiple options to adjust the display - including number of frequency band, display pattern, colors, light intensity.

One unique feature of this code - it's using the Arduino for the FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) to split the audio input into seven bands. Many other Music Visualizers require a second chip - the MSGEQ7.

I'm using the Line Out from the Music system - so that the light intensity is basically the same across multiple inputs (CD, FM, etc.) - and I can adjust the system volume without altering the display.

The code is openly available on GitHub and you can modify it if you want try new options.

PS I'm using the Lumazoid from Nootropic - I had a problem, sent an email, and got a rapid response the same day! :slight_smile:

After a few successes with FastLED library lighting the various kinds of individually addressable LED strips I have collected; I decided to give the Lumazoid code a try in an Arduino Uno. I put the FFT library and the Adafruit library in place and then opened a new project with the visualMicro plug in running within Atmel Studio 7.

The code from Github loaded into AS7 and compiled without errors or warnings and AVRDude boot loaded it into the Arduino Uno without a hitch.

Now I am trying to interface a KY38 electret microphone module so I can make this stand alone, independent of a line audio input.

I have had a 'factory' Nootropic Designs Lumanoid running on the bridge above my mixing console/computer and I have been looking at it for months. It is not a boaring light show. It is totally engaging and unpredictable. I love it. One strip with the right pattern is a very understated element in my studio, not overbearing, not calling attention, like a sirens song, you will just stare and wonder.....where did the time listening to music go. I

Thanks for making this open source. xxoo.