Leonard + nRF2401a

Hi all
My first day with arduino (leonard)
I also aquired used nRF2401a with antenna transceivers models (sparkfun). I have no skills in electronics, i am just an intusiastic in microcontrollers area.
I would like to interface nrf2401a with arduino leonard. As i can guess, nrf2401a do not supports spi, right? I can not be sure about this :frowning: . I read somewhere that I have to use bitbang approach... Bu it seems very complicated for me. Please could you help me on this thing by guiding me for the right direction or even make available any source code that can accomplish this task?

Thanls a lot

Alex

First off, you should link to exactly which module you bought, as there are several.
https://www.sparkfun.com/search/results?term=Nrf2401&what=products

Then, you should download the datasheet from the page, and you could answer
your own question, as to the interface protocol. This doco indicates SPI=not,

If this is the module, then there is a link to the Arduino page for it,

http://www.arduino.cc/playground/InterfacingWithHardware/Nrf2401

Not hard to do.

Yes, it is the 'Transceiver nRF2401A Module Trace Antenna'!
Ok, so it does have SPI compatibility. Right.

That driver for arduino is a good starting point. I will try it...

By the way, I will firstly interface nrf2401a with arduino and then I will make the same with another board (STK300). IS there any technique that I can use in order to test if the transceiver is ok and ready for communication, without using the other transceiver? I listen that we could put it in promiscuous mode and let the interrupt of data available fire. Once again this seems ver abstract for me (configure it in promiscuous mode). Is there any other technique to find out if the arduino nrf2401a is working properly?

Thanks a lot
Alex

Before you interface, check what voltage levels the RF module will take. I know for the
nRF2401+, but you'll have to find it yourself for this one. If you connect 5V to 3.3V pins,
you'll blow the module. People here do this every single day - several people. They're always
doing stuff before taking the time to check out what they're supposed to be doing.
Electronics doesn't like that approach.

Some of the example programs do a module interrogation and parameter dump at
powerup. You can check what the examples given do.

oric_dan:
Before you interface, check what voltage levels the RF module will take. I know for the
nRF2401+, but you'll have to find it yourself for this one. If you connect 5V to 3.3V pins,
you'll blow the module.

The nRF2401+ is 5V tolerant.

alexe100:
I would like to interface nrf2401a with arduino leonard. As i can guess, nrf2401a do not supports spi, right?

A good place to start would be to read the nrf2401a datasheet. There's a chapter called "SPI interface", and a whole lot of other useful information.

Google "nrf2401a+ datasheet".

(I hope you got the nrf2401a+, not the nrf2401a...)

As long as we are mentioning datasheets, insure you are using the correct pins for the SPI data lines.

SPI: on the ICSP header. These pins support SPI communication using the SPI library. Note that the SPI pins are not connected to any of the digital I/O pins as they are on the Uno, They are only available on the ICSP connector. This means that if you have a shield that uses SPI, but does NOT have a 6-pin ICSP connector that connects to the Leonardo's 6-pin ICSP header, the shield will not work.

fungus:

oric_dan:
you'll blow the module.

The nRF2401+ is 5V tolerant.

Well, "I" know that, but he has an nRF2401A, not an nRF2401+, and in addition, HE should
be checking these things HIMSELF before hooking up, not simply ignoring the datasheet
and barging ahead! Help teach the guy to fish, don't simply hand him a free fish.

Thank you
About the sheets, for a person with non electronic native skills it is dificult to understand sme terms and concepts referred in data sheet, like preamble, etc.
I just want to have the two NRF2401 sending and receiveing, then I will develop my high level comm layer or an entire stack above this...

For now I am trying this:
http://www.arduino.cc/playground/InterfacingWithHardware/Nrf2401

Alex