Storing sketchbooks in dropbox

I know this is not a programming question but it does have something to do with code.

For eons I have stored my arduino sketchbooks on my local computer harddrives. But recently I was introduced dropbox.com and its apps. You can create a dropbox folder and see all the files in dropbox on all your computers and devices (tablets and phones). It's neat. I wonder if anyone is storing their sketchbook folder in dropbox. I'm only doing this for the less serious projects that have their code spread out on multiple computers and keep my main sketchbook on my main computer on local drive.

I just wonder if anyone has done so and what experience you have. Thanks.

I do it with Google Drive, but it's the same concept.

Arrch:
I do it with Google Drive, but it's the same concept.

Thanks. Is Google Drive free? Does it have any periodic backup feature? Dropbox doesn't seem to have any backup feature. What I'd like to have is scheduled and manual (push a button) backup of select folders to local machines.

Been using dropbox for a while for saving arduino sketches across multiple computers. There are no real gotchas and I also use it to share code with others.

I did use Google Drive but I'd have issues with it. Sometimes it doesn't always sync all the files for me. It's a shame because my Google Drive is much larger than my dropbox.

I am sticking with dropbox because it seems to always work. If Google drive was as robust I would probably move over to it.

This is overkill for most people, but.....

The server company (dreamhost.com) I host my external web site on also provides ssh/CVS/subversion support, so I put my sketchbooks into part of my CVS repository that also includes all of the perl/shell scripts for the various things that I do, and the configuration files I use. I first established the CVS repository in 1997, but several of the files like the GNU emacs config file date back even further than that. So whether I'm at work or on my home computers, I just do cvs update to sync all of the files.

In addition to the external web server, I maintain copies of all of my source files, pictures, and mail files on two separate removable disks that are usually unplugged. One disk is usually stored in my office in a plastic container, and the other at the house.

liudr:
Thanks. Is Google Drive free?

Yes.

Does it have any periodic backup feature? Dropbox doesn't seem to have any backup feature. What I'd like to have is scheduled and manual (push a button) backup of select folders to local machines.

I'm not sure what you mean by a backup feature; it's essentially the same service as Dropbox where it automatically backs up any new/updated files and folders within the Google Drive folder to their servers, and syncs it to any computer with the program installed. Are you talking about something like a "snapshot" feature?

I use FileHamster to provide automatic versioning on my dev machine, it's far more convenient than a full blown change control system for little things like this. The FileHamster repository is backed up in the cloud for the odd occasion when I need to work remotely.

Yes, I meant snapshot.

I'm using Dropbox too and it's working great.
Just recently I accidentally deleted the wrong sketch :0 and I was able to retrieve it :slight_smile: through Dropbox as it keeps copies of your (deleted) files.

Hi there ,

It's simple , you just have to create two user , user of your own and users to share with others , but it's seems too difficult , so why don't you use the alfresco cloud server that will give an online 10G free account , used for enterprise management system , you just have to use your own company email , not the online free email .

I have been using dropbox for Arduino for a year or more without problems. I use portable versions from here that allows me to easily access files at work (cannot install applications on work PC's)