"Arduino Mega" photos up on lusorobotica.com

Can anyone comment on this: http://lusorobotica.com/index.php/topic,675.0.html ?

Is this a real product?

Beat me to it! Although it's been on hackaday for an hour or two I see..

Seems like the logical progression. Will be interesting to see the price. The serial ports will be awesome - no mucking around with software serial.

Looks like the non-standard digital 7 - 8 gap is still there - surely this was the time to move on!

Looks like the non-standard digital 7 - 8 gap is still there - surely this was the time to move on!

Based on my poor ability to translate the page, it's designed to be compatible with current shields. So the weird pin spacing has to stay.

A nice touch to the "shield compatibility" is that all new pins stick out the bottom of the board, and wont be covered by a shield.

It also looks to have two voltage regs. If so, this would seem to indicate separate 5V and 3.3V sources. 3.3V would therefore support more current than the FTDI chip does today.

It also looks to have two voltage regs. If so, this would seem to indicate separate 5V and 3.3V sources. 3.3V would therefore support more current than the FTDI chip does today.

I think it is the same MOSFET used on the Duemilanove... so I guess 3.3V is still coming from the FTDI chip

Yup, my mistake - I was looking at my Diecimila. (and I got overly excited).

I did not see a reset button, and the headers do not look like they will work with the current shields, so maybe the spacing is fixed!

Dale

it's designed to be compatible with current shields

I know - but it seems like it was an opportunity to move on - the chip is no longer a "drop in replacement" like the 8/168/328 series.

I guess the massive bank of I/O off the right will be on a 0.1" grid, and therefore we could just use those inputs for "homemade" shields.

Yeah the more I think about it I gues that could be a good compromise.

I did not see a reset button, and the headers do not look like they will work with the current shields, so maybe the spacing is fixed!

Maybe everybody is overly excited! Do you see the S1 switch? That looks like a reset button to me

This looks amazing!

Kudos to the dev team for keeping shield compatibility, I can't wait for this to arrive, hopefully it doesn't set us back $80+ though

I want one. But do we have to wait for IDE V24 for built in support :wink:

Lefty

An Arduino based on the 1280 was my number 1 requested "feature".

Any indication how soon can I have one and how much will it cost?

That will make everyone happy,
mini, normal and now mega, one for each application!
Nice.

Now this is something!

Looking forward to this.

Wow :open_mouth:

I hope seeedstudio sell this ;D

4k sram !!!

Atmel say 8k for the ATmega1280 .

Man this is crazy!!!

http://mcukits.com/2009/03/16/if-there-is-an-arduino-mega-then-there-should-be-a-megashield/

From Hackaday

Yeah there seems to be some sort of mixups on the specs

The Atmega 1280 has about 8k of ram and 86 I/O and 16 PWM

however, the Atmega 128 has 4k of ram and 53 I/O, but with fewer PWM and analog I/O.

I wonder which one it is. If it is the 1280 I hope those are just typos, or they could be used for the oscillators and such as well...

Were those pictures of the shield and the mega a rendering? Or did nkc manage to get his hands on one? how come he gets first dibs!!! lol

There's too many pins for a shield the size of the actual MEGA to be very useful, I'd like to see a much larger shield (and it would be helpful to bring out several more power rails.