Go Down

Topic: Vintage Arcade Games and Consoles (Read 85 times) previous topic - next topic

Slowpokee

Greetings all,

I want to build or recreate some old vintage arcade games like Ikari Warriors, Golden Tee and Centipede. The actual game source is floating around and porting to an Arduino Platform shouldn't be to difficult. The fun part and challenge for me is the user interface or game controls that these older games had. Ikari Warriors had a joystick that rotated so you can shoot in a different direction then the character is moving. Golden Tee and Centipede had large track balls you could spin really fast.

I figured with the innovations in robotics, it would be conceivable to replicate these game controllers with modern parts and sensors.

I searched around and couldn't find any projects like this and was just wondering if anyone has done something like this or is interested in working with me. I eventually want to build a few full size arcade boxes complete with bezels and marquis with the game to look like the real thing. Plus you could combine several games in one machine to.

wvmarle

The graphics processing capability of those arcade boxes was probably more than that of a modern-day Arduino. Especially the working memory is a major issue. They probably even had dedicated chips to handle the graphics, with all the moving bits as sprites.

I think you have more chance with e.g. an ESP8266 processor as it has more memory, some 80 kB RAM, which is similar to what those old processors had.

The flash on a modern day processor is of course much much more than what those arcade machines had, so placing multiple games on one device is no problem.
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

PaulS

The actual game source is floating around and porting to an Arduino Platform shouldn't be to difficult.
Let us know when you have successfully converted one of them to run on the Arduino.

Plus you could combine several games in one machine to.
Now, you are reaching. Really reaching.

Look at what you can do with a Raspberry Pi, instead, for about the same price as an Arduino clone.
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

Go Up