Robot Chassis

I'm building a Robot that holds up to 10 pounds and has 2 power motors and a 3rd wheel (caster) in the back.
Desired Chassis 2 1/2 feet by 1 1/2 feet.

So my question is, what's the best material for a chassis, 2x4 axle with plywood on top? plexiglass?

any suggestions?

To hold 10 pounds you don't need a 2x4 Chassis. It will add unnecessary weight to the thing an deplete your batteries faster when moving.
Alluminum will be ideal; but probably too expensive. Simple 1/2"x 2'' or 3/4"x2" boards will probably work fine for the frame at a fraction of the weight and cost. You can just reinforce the corner joints with triangular pieces of plywood.

arduinoadrian:
To hold 10 pounds you don't need a 2x4 Chassis. It will add unnecessary weight to the thing an deplete your batteries faster when moving.
Alluminum will be ideal; but probably too expensive. Simple 1/2"x 2'' or 3/4"x2" boards will probably work fine for the frame at a fraction of the weight and cost. You can just reinforce the corner joints with triangular pieces of plywood.

The dimensions are not for the weight itself, it's more for what I'm trying to put on there. So you're suggesting aluminum, won't that be bad incase of a grounded wire or something static??

If the thing is battery powered and you use alluminum you just need to connect your ground to the chassis, like they do in cars. The 2x2 ft dimensions will be Ok with the bords I mentioned and the 10 pounds weight. They can hold more than that if you place them vertically. Like this []

So my question is, what's the best material for a chassis, 2x4 axle with plywood on top? plexiglass? any suggestions?

You might want to consider a child's battery powered riding toy. Rugged and often available at second hand stores (I've seen them being tossed in the dumpsters at the recycling center :frowning: )

It depends what materials you have around and what you are working with, but for something that size and carrying relatively light loads as you describe, a wooden frame structure would be very simple to build and could easily be made strong enough - it provides an easy solution for mounting things to it as well. I suspect you could get away with something much smaller than 2x4" - I would have thought that 1x2" was ample. But if what you have to hand is 2x4", the only disadvantage I can see is extra weight - only you can judge how much the weight matters.