Servo movement resets ATMEGA328

As was explained.

If this is what you are using as a battery:

then give up now!

Get a proper battery. Start with a pack of six "AA" (not "AAA") alkaline cells.

Do you have a DMM ?

Do you know what current is ?
Do you know the mAh rating of your battery ?
Do you know the current draw of your circuit (static and dynamic ) ?
Do you know the voltage of your battery (at this moment ) ?

Hi everybody, thanks for your replies.

Yes, im using a 9v battery like the picture, but im using a rechargable 9v battery, because I want to save money with the circuit.

Two 9v batteries is more expensive that I was thinking CrossRoads, may be another option ?

Do you mean a pack of six "AA" for ATMega and the servo Paul__B ?

I dont know what is aDMM raschemmel...

Best regards, GInza.

You want answers. How about giving us some:

Do you know what current is ?
Do you know the mAh rating of your battery ?
Do you know the current draw of your circuit (static and dynamic ) ?
Do you know the voltage of your battery (at this moment ) ?

Ginza:
I don’t know what is a DMM raschemmel...

Ever tried Google?

Hi raschemmel, look I have started with Arduino few month ago. Im a software developer, but one day I wanted to do that my code start to do things with the real world, so I started with Ardunio Uno.

Im learning in the road, while Im connecting things Im learning, Im getting all the information from youtube, google, etc.

Please got me patience :slight_smile:

My goal now is to find a good power supply to connect the circuit, If I can save money better. I have the ATMega328 on a protoboard with the basics elements to work it without the Arduino uno board. I have connected a 7805 to limit voltage to 5v.

Im using a VIPOW 9v Battery 250mA.

I dont know the current draw of the circuit (static and dynamic ) , i will try to get information in the web.

Please guide me. Thanks

The Arduino UNO is about 50 to 75mA. The servo can be anywhere from 100mA to 500mA depending on the load connected to the servo. If the load requires a lot of force to move it then the current would probably be more than 250mA.

By Ohm's Law,
V (voltage) = I (current(A)) x R (resistance (ohms)

If you had a DMM (**D**igital **MultiM**eter) , you could put it in current mode and measure the current or in voltage mode and measure the voltage across the battery. For most arduino hobbyists looking to control things , a DMM is to them what a tire iron (or jack) is to a traveler. You just won't get very far without one and you should never leave home without it. Either buy a cheap digital multimeter or find another hobby.

As it has been said. You just cant really do electrical / electronic things without a DMM.I am 57 and been doing this kind of thing sense I was about 15, so that is 42 years and these gents have been trying to help and give you good info. 9v battery for uno. 6 AA batteries for the servo. Just make sure to connect the ground (-) wires together.

My goal now is to find a good power supply to connect the circuit, If I can save money better. I have the ATMega328 on a protoboard with the basics elements to work it without the Arduino uno board. I have connected a 7805 to limit voltage to 5v.

This really tells us nothing regarding where you are with the uC.

What is the SITREP ? (Milspeak for Situation Report)

1-Are you breadboarding an ATmega328 blind or do you know what you are doing ?
2-Do you know how you are going to communicate with the ATmega328 ?
3-Does the ATmega328 have a bootloader already ?
4-What are you using for a clock ?
5-Have you been able to communicate with the ATmega328 yet ?
6-Do you know what a schematic is ?
7-Can you draw a schematic of your circuit and post a photo of it?
8-WHAT EXACTLY have you actually done with this so far ? (have you powered it up? loaded a sketch ? etc etc ?

Hi raschemmel and Paul1958, thanks for your replies. Sorry for my english, Im spanish.

I will try to explain you the situation.

I have finished the project code, now Im testing if it is right. I dont want unexpected behavior, so I want to put the code working standalone on a protoboard.

The devices that I have connected to the Atmega are a RTC module (DS1302) and a BlueTooth module (HC-05). I have communication with the Atmega by BlueTooth with my phone and it works properly. I can get and set data in both ways.

To get the system working standalone, I must get a good power supply option, I need that it should be rechargable.

Yesterday I have connected all on the protoboard without the servo with the 9v battery full charged to see how the system works. It only was turned on 20 minutes. I think that the 9v battery doesnt work for my needs.

In your experience, please recommend me a good and cheap power supply to use. I will try the 6AA batteries like you said me.

I will try to upload some pictures, this are not very schematics, but is the faster way to show you what I have got.

About the DMM, of course I have got one and I use it. But I dont know it by the initals, I know it by multimeter.

Best regards, GInza.

Pictures

Pictures

You didn't answer the most important question:
How do you know there is a pot and do youbhabe the schematic and what is the voltage across the pot. That is all that matters at this stage.

Que le importa las otra cosas si no sabes que necessita de la circuita que maneja la barca ?

Hi raschemmel, what is the meaning of POT ?

I dont have schematics yet. I will try do it then.

What do you think about 6AA pack before the 7805 ?

You didn't answer the most important question:
How do you know there is a pot and do youbhabe the schematic and what is the voltage across the pot. That is all that matters at this stage.

Que le importa las otra cosas si no sabes que necessita de la circuita que maneja la barca ?

DISREGARD ABOVE (It was intended for a different post. I got the two posts mixed up . My bad)

Do you upload sketches via bluetooth as well ?

Your original problem of reseting was because of the battery type you were using.
Use the 6 AA batteries.

No, I upload the sketches by USB.

I use BlueTooth to get and set data at the AtMega.

I will use the 6AA pack and test how much time it is turn on.

Can you tell me how many amps must be the AA battery ? Because they are in different amps versions.

Also, I have a 12v/4Ah. Do you think if I connect it before the 7805, the 7805 will regulate the voltage and amps to the ATMega328 and doesnt destroy it ?

You said you're using an ATmega328. You didn't say UNO or any other arduino board. You also didn't mention if your chip has a bootloader. You're telling us you upload sketches with USB but the ATmega328 doesn't have any FTDI USB to TTL serial capability. The only way you can load sketches is by using an FTDI adaptor (USB to TTL serial), so did you forget to mention that you have one of those and that's how you are uploading sketches ? You also didn't mention what frequency you are using and how.

We're taking our time to help you . If you are just going to ignore our questions then maybe I should go work on another post.

I posted this:

1-Are you breadboarding an ATmega328 blind or do you know what you are doing ?
2-Do you know how you are going to communicate with the ATmega328 ?
3-Does the ATmega328 have a bootloader already ?
4-What are you using for a clock ?
5-Have you been able to communicate with the ATmega328 yet ?
6-Do you know what a schematic is ?
7-Can you draw a schematic of your circuit and post a photo of it?
8-WHAT EXACTLY have you actually done with this so far ? (have you powered it up? loaded a sketch ? etc etc ?

I don't see any answers.

I have a 12v/4Ah. Do you think if I connect it before the 7805, the 7805 will regulate the voltage and amps to the ATMega328 and doesnt destroy it ?

You could but it would the 7805 will run a little hot dissipating the extra heat.

Hi raschemmel, sorry. Im new in this.

Yes I have got an Arduino UNO and upload the sketches by USB. But a few days ago I have burned the sketch on the ATmega328 and put it standalone on a protoboard to test it 24/7.

Today I will try the 12v/4Ah battery with the 7805 and something with it to dissipate the heat.

When I could buy the AA batteries I will try this option too.

I really appreciate your time and your help.

I only ask here when I cant get information from the web or to get some experience of the people that has more knowledge like you.

Best regards, GInza

You don't have to do that . If you get one of these all you need is this
to load the sketches and you can breadboard atmega328s. You do need the 16 Mhz crystal, 2 18 pF caps and a few other minor components.

Hi raschemmel, yes I have seen that the sketch can be uploaded with a FTDI module. But in my country is very complicated found and buy arduino parts and PIC elements. And when you found a shop the prices are very high because there is not competition of sellers here.

Im fighting now to get a 28 pins DIP zocket :frowning:

Please tell me, about de 6AA bateries option to power the protoboard, which mAh they must be ?

Best regards, Ginza